There's a new piece at mrzine -- The Power of Monopoly Capital by
Michael Dawson...
http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/dawson291209.html
... which is surprising in two ways.
1. Its defensive tone. Dawson is disturbed that the Baran/Sweezy
theory is dismissed by so many Marxists. He gives the impression that
he feels their supporters are a beleaguered minority. I hate to take
pleasure in any comrade's pain, but I was under the impression that
the reverse was the case, i.e. that because of the increasing ubiquity
of writings by John Bellamy Foster and others, the Baran/Sweezy theory
was becoming all too hegemonic for lack of anyone with any wide
recognition writing from a more traditional Marxist economic
standpoint.
2. It's shockingly explicit rejection of Marxist economics, both in
dismissing any importance for profit rates, and for justifying a focus
on appearance rather than essence (see his section on what business
people worry about as proof of what matters).
Andy P.