Anthony Boynton wrote:

> A few words about education, public education, private schools, and
> charter
> schools.
>
> I have been watching the sparks fly between Joaquin and Artesian regarding
> education and would like to make a few off the cuff remarks. Although I
> agree with Joaquin’s premise that the framework should be, "fighting
> bourgeois education.", rather than simply "fighting bourgeois attacks on
> education", I think that the first step in fighting “bourgeois education”
> is
> defending and promoting the democratic right to free universal public
> education. In any case I want to address this issue in a different way.

Capitalism already provides a type of "free universal public education", I
think.
It comes through television, radio, movies, music and this synthetic medium
we
are using. Education comes to us as a commodity.

On the whole, its message (or lesson) is what Christopher Lasch called "the
propaganda of commodities": Liberation is achieved, according to this view,
if you constantly buy, consume and sell yourself within the confines of
capitalist
economic relations as defined by Madison Ave. & Co.; shit like "You've come
long way, baby!", etc.

Maybe, if we succeed in placing "commodity" in the popular pejorative and
attack "bourgeois education" as a promoter of it we may get the type of
education you and I want for our families and our communities.

I hope you'll agree that it's not enough to abolish the commodity aspect of
capitalist "bourgeois education" if at the same time we do not abolish the
commodity aspect of all other useful and productive work.