The best book I have read on the history of Haiti was "The Uses of Haiti" by
Paul Farmer. Yesterday I wanted to recommend it to a friend and was surprised
to find that used copies of this paperback book range from $50 to over $100 on
Amazon and other sites. Pity.

Yesterday NPR asked for listeners to call in and express their opinions on
whether the U.S. was obligated to send aid to Haiti. It was sickening to hear
how many listeners of the "liberal" NPR felt that since Haitians had supported
corrupt regimes for many years, the Haitians themselves are responsible for
Haiti's extreme poverty and dysfunctionality. A typical comment went something
like this: "We have sent them billions in aid and it just does not seem to
help. America should not have to solve the problems of the world." Oh, the
irony!