Louis Proyect wrote:

> Nation Magazine, February 2, 2009
> Seeking Obama's Center
> Comment
> By Victor Navasky
>
> As I listened to Obama's inaugural address, although I harbored no
> illusions about the difficult task ahead, I felt that I was
> swimming in a sea of happiness, as I heard him gently but firmly
> declare the country's liberation from the past (rejecting as
> "false" the Bush administration's notion that national security is
> incompatible with constitutional liberty)[...]

For some years now I too have thought that "constitutional liberty" and
"national security" are incompatible. Does that make me a Bushie?

I think it's wrong to conflate national security (as defined by the
requirements
of a nation state) with safety and constitutional liberty (as defined and
administered by the capitalist class) with freedom.

deserve neither liberty nor safety." --B. Franklin