Louis Proyect wrote:

> The CVS across the street has installed self-service check-out machines.
> This is apparently the latest trend in the retail industry to cut costs
> and boost profits. Of course, when they can clerks, that's a loss of
> buying power. It is especially galling to have to basically do work for
> free when I check myself out at CVS. Here's a blog article from
> Solidarity on this:
>
> http://www.solidarity-us.org/current/node/2350
> Self-checkouts and other capitalist inconveniences
> Submitted by Nick on August 20, 2009 - 12:52pm
>
> Anyone who’s been to a supermarket within the past couple of years is
> undoubtedly familiar with the horrible phenomenon of “self-checkout”
> machines. [...]

"The past couple of years"? Longer, I think; Automats, certain phone
exchanges and ATMs
being the earlier examples that I can recall (though the Automat had people
behind the coveys
constantly feeding sliced pie, sandwiches and coffee as needed and someone
out front to clean
up after messy people).

It's true, though: The trend towards automation has become almost
irresistible and the complete mechanization of consumption may be part of
it.

I have a slight problem with some of the language in the article. I think
that "customer" is another
way of saying "consumer", a term I consider, sociologically imprecise and
misleading to anyone
 needing or aspiring to greater working class consciousness.

Ralph Nader once came to my school to address us and I intended to ask him
about the
use of the "consumer" label so prevalent in his discourse but I had to leave
for a class before
the talk was over. Pity.