Mark wrote:

>I wasn't even going to respond on this, and
>get into the fish-slapping silly shit
>about who is and isn't a Marxist.

Next time don't even read my post. You'll sleep
better

>But who is and isn't a "Beardsian" may cost
>me sleep.  I've never heard of a "Beardsian,
> but I suspect that, in this day and age,
>most people wouldn't know one if it bit them
>in the ass."

...and I never used the term. I said that
Zinn was the 'Charles Beard' of our time.
Now, let this bite you in the ass. Charles Beard
was enormously popular in the 1920's and 1930's,
He was, I believe, the best selling historian
then, well loved and respected by many people.
His 'An Economic Interpretation of the
Constitution' was an enormously influential work
that had a similar impact as "People's History.'
Zinn, in fact, singles Beard out for praise
and acknowledges the influence on his own work.
This is the only acknowledgement that I am aware
of that Zinn ever made to another historian.

You are quite right that most people are
ignorant of Charles Beard and his work
has been forgetten by the public and repudiated
by almost all other American historians. The
only other contemporary writer invoking
Beard that I can recall is Andrew Bacevich,
who is not a historian.

As far as the simple observation that I made,
that Zinn was not a Marxist, why does that
upset you so much? We can certainly agree
that Foner was an important Marxist historian
and that his work on American labor is under
appreciated. You are also quite right to dispute
some of the well meaning obituaries to Zinn
that give him credit for singlehandedly
inventing social history or that he was
the first person to use his work as a
political weapon. Let us leave it at