http://www.dhammabrothers.com/TVShowtimes.htm

The above listing provides a schedule of PBS air times for the
award-winning "Dhamma Brothers" documentary, which was positively
reviewed by Louis Proyect last year on his "Unrepentant Marxist" blog.
I encourage everyone to view the documentary, if you have not already.
It examines the process of self-discovery undergone by inmates at a
maximum security prison in Alabama who have volunteered to take a ten
day course of vipassana meditation.  As Marx offered a scientific
critique of political economy, one could say that the Buddhist
tradition offers an incredibly rich and detailed science of the mind.
For those who might be interested, the ancient Abbidhamma text, from
the Therevada lineage, lays out and examines 121 possible mind states.
In the beginning ten day course of vipassana, only a few of the major
mind states are examined, namely those having to do with craving and
aversion, which originate in the "poisons" of greed and hatred. The
"unconscious" reactive mind, or sankhara in the original Pali, is
singled out as the key link to be broken in the chain of negative mind
patterns. The process of self-examination is incredibly rigorous,
detailed, and always quite painful, as the mind-body link between the
reactive mind and physical sensation is explored in each one hour
sitting.  But the benefits are long-lasting and well worth the effort.

Over the years, as a by-product of the meditation, many people have
reported being healed from the psycho-somatic causes of various
ostensibly physical diseases. Indeed, Goenka himself first came to
vipassana seeking a cure for his migraine headaches and subsequent
morphine addiction. I, myself have been recovering from a complicated
and old pattern of low-back pain, brought on by overwork. But this
most recent retreat has given me the greatest pain-relief I have
experienced in over two years.

I just returned from my 10th vipassana retreat in this lineage, which
is a secular, non-sectarian, and grassroots volunteer organization,
but it was my first experience sitting at the new Southeast Vipassana
Center, <http://www.patapa.dhamma.org/ > which is located just outside
of rural Jesup GA. I am in-between Census assignments, and decided to
take advantage of the free time to sit my second retreat in the last 6
months. I have not had the opportunity to write down a polished
reflection on this most current sitting, but I was struck with the
increasing cultural and ethnic diversity represented by the
attendees--Thai, Hindu, Japanese, and African-American people were
mixed in among the still predominantly white majority.

I am always impressed by Goenkaji's trenchant critiques of organized
religion, the business class, the medical industry, and the arms
trade. Sitting in the hall each evening and watching the "Dhamma talk"
by Goenka, recorded on DVD, Is the only chance one has during the ten
days to make any noise whatsoever, except to raise questions
pertaining to the meditation, as each student takes a vow of noble
silence for the course. The meditation hall was ringing with laughter.
Goenka pulls no punches, and being a Hindu, he is quite merciless in
his sarcasm directed toward his own tradition. One evening, after the
incredibly funny discourse which lampoons several of the major
religious traditions, I was lying in bed and heard quite a bit of
banging and door slamming in the hallway. I found out later the
assistant teacher had to be called in to deal with an unruly student
who had lost his cool in reaction to the discourse. Apparently, he was
quite offended by the critique. For those who are unfamiliar, S. N.
Goenka is the primary teacher of this lineage of vipassana meditation,
which finds its origin in Burma. His video discourses, taken from a
retreat which he led in 1991, are played each evening after a day of
sitting in silent meditation for ten to twelve hours.

Although I've viewed the same discourses over and over again at each
course sitting, I still find them incredibly relevant, and again,
quite humorous. I suppose they offer the students a chance to let off
steam a bit, as the discipline for the course is tighter than the
security at a federal penitentiary. I always smile on the fourth day
when the vipassana teaching is given during a two hour period, as the
written instructions on the wall inform the new students they are not
permitted to leave the meditation hall during this time. Old students
are encouraged to take a strong vow, "addithana", not to move their
bodily position at all during this period. Inevitably, at least one
person is overcome with physical and emotional pain and tries to make
a rush for the door. Too bad, so sad. They are followed out the door
by the group manager, who gently but firmly leads them back inside.
Sometimes they are allowed to cry a bit so as not to disrupt the other
mediators, but they are always led back inside to face the cause of
their discomfort directly.

For this and other reasons, a few new students always leave the
retreat. I think this time the men lost two newbies, and the women
only one. I left my first retreat on the evening of the 9th day for a
previously arranged date with this incredibly beautiful woman I had
met in graduate school. When I returned the next day after having
broken all my vows, (students are basically monks for ten days and
take vows of silence and celibacy for that time at the beginning of
the course) I was denied entry and told to wait a few years before
reapplying for a new course. I did, and am glad my relationship with
vipassana has lasted longer than any romantic relationship I have been
involved in. Speaking of relationships, my inner bell has sounded, and
it's time to hit the kneeling bench.

Cheers,

Greg McDonald