My Father Was a Freedom Fighter: Gaza's Untold Story

By Ramzy Baroud

Just read this book. It made me think of the chant I hear at rallies: Gaza,
Gaza, don't you cry; Palestine will never die.

The Zionists never dreamed that more than 60 years after Israel was declared
a state they would still be dealing with the Palestinians. Ben Gurion wrote
in 1948: "Not one refugee will return. The old will die. The young will
forget."

Ramzy Baroud mixes the personal and the historical as he writes about his
father's militant struggles against the Israelis, his dashed hopes that
Nasser would be the savior of the Palestinians, his bitterness at the
betrayal of Anwar Sadat as well as the daily survival tactics of living in a
refugee camp.

What was it like to flee the Nakba, trying to keep your family together
while avoiding Zionist gangs and strafing airplanes? What survival tactics
do you develop when Israeli soldiers frequently barge into your house
without warning and you have have 5 adolescent sons? How do you function
when an entity that is intent on your destruction is in control of your
economic survival?

He puts it all into the larger context of the development of the PLO, the
Islamic Brotherhood, Hamas and the politics of Arab nationalism.

I contnue to be amazed and humbled by the bravery and tenacity of the
Palestinians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K2VpARDkzw