There's been a little discussion on the Redbadbear list about two developing
Arizona legal approaches: immigration and carrying concealed firearms without a
permit.

These developments are of considerable interest nationally.

It's obviously self-evident that both Arizona and the Federal government are
racing each other in anti-immigrant stuff in Southern Arizona.  And much of
this is certainly going on in comparable locations in other southern border
states. One would hope and at least cautiously expect that the Arizona
immigration law is tossed by the Federal courts.  As we all know, that
approach isn't the answer.  But it looks like the Obama administration, even
it wants to really meet challenges of this sort in a constructive fashion --
and I frankly think it's too chicken and maybe too callous to do so -- isn't
going to be able to get to first base on meaningful immigration reform.
None of these things are going to functionally stop "illegal immigration" --
and a big part of the solution lies in Mexico itself [about which it's hard
to feel short-range optimistic at the moment.]  Some of this hysteria, of
course, will burn itself out -- but a lot of people are going to be hurt.

I don't see the carry-without-a-permit thing as being motivated primarily by
Anglo racial paranoia at all.  [And I've never seen race as the primary Tea
Party motivant.]  In a country like this, those racist strains are always
present.  But just as the Tea Party thing is symptomatic of some failed and
failing government people policies -- mixed with a whole lot of ignorance --
this non permit gun carry thing stems, at least in my opinion, from the
rapidly mounting crime rate in Phoenix metro which involves offenders from
all ethnic backgrounds. The other part is, as I alluded yesterday evening, a
"macho" thing.  With this new state gun law, people from a variety of ethnic
backgrounds are going to "pack" guns because it gives them a sense of
individual worth and personal power, commodities in short supply for many
these days.  Sensible people -- including sensible gun owners -- aren't
going to do that at all.  And sensible gun owners feel the same way about
the militia thing [which I continue to see as mostly harmless play/soldier
wannabees whose greatest danger is to themselves.]. This law may be "legal"
but, in a word, it's stupid. [It's legal to drive down a switch-backed
mountain road at 55 mph, too.]

As I've noted many times -- and I like firearms much and respect them
greatly -- I have in some situations quietly carried a concealed revolver
sans any permit.  My reasons were good.  But I don't think most people have
those "political" reasons.  In Phoenix, as in Chicago and other big cities,
low income people of all ethnic backgrounds are vulnerable to predatory
criminals -- especially at night, in their homes.[And this can certainly be
the case in smaller communities as well.] Concurrently with that are
frequently poor police responses vis-a-vis those "poorer" neighborhoods.--
and there, within one's domicile, a case can certainly be made for keeping a
loaded firearm handy.  [Here, where we live in Idaho, we don't have to worry
much about crime -- there's only one long road out of here.  But I do have a
couple of loaded firearms, including a revolver -- because there are still
people in the region who resent us, after 13 years, being here.]  I think
eventually the effects of this new Arizona gun law will fade.  In one's day
to day endeavors, it's often a nuisance to carry even a small handgun.

About Arizona itself, I continue to see Arizona as being basically healthy.
In a very real way I see two Arizonas:  the real Arizona which those of us
with real roots in the state will always like very much --  and Phoenix
metro [which I hasten to say does have some good people within it.]  Given
the massive numbers and certain types of people that have entered the
Phoenix metro region over the decades, it's not difficult to see why a
scoundrel like Arpaio continues to survive politically.

Solidarity -

Hunter [Hunter Gray]

HUNTER GRAY [HUNTER BEAR/JOHN R SALTER JR] Mi'kmaq /St. Francis
Abenaki/St. Regis Mohawk
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
and Ohkwari'

I have always lived and worked in the Borderlands.

Our Hunterbear website is now more than ten years old.
It contains a vast amount of social justice material.
Check out our Directory/Index: http://hunterbear.org/directory.htm

See Big Distress Challenges In The Eastern North Carolina Night
-- Followed By, A Magnolia Tale
http://hunterbear.org/big_distress_challenges_in_the_e.htm

The Next Great Step Of The Way:  John Beecher's Grassroots
Poetry:  http://hunterbear.org/next_great_step_of_the_way.htm