Many thanks Ray, for that URL.

I have watched the film this morning - and cannot help wondering what its
impact is on those who have never served in their country's army.

For me, having joined the British army only in August 1944, aged 19 -it felt
like the truth personified.  The first drill sergeant (not actually the
first, because I spent six weeks in primary training, of which I have few
memories, before joining the Armoured Corps for my main training as a
driver/(wireless) operator impressed on one's memory, which left me with the
pride in the Royal Tank Regiment) - how true.  (This was up in Co. Durham -
so different from my home territory of East Anglia - with its stone houses,
and a dialect "Geordie" which was mainly incomprehensible to me when
arrived).

My first (in Armoured Corps training) was named Sergeant Steel - what an
appropriate name - and certainly his face is truly impressed on my memory,
as someone the whole troop came to partly regard as a lunatic demon, but who
yet gained a deep-seated respect.

Then this was followed by officer training at Sandhurst, which was even more
vigorous as well as more academic with theory of strategy and tactics as
well as the combat training which left me at my heaviest ever with muscles I
had never known I had !!

The main difference between my experience and that of today's recruits was
that we were training to liberate the world from fascism, not to simply be
used as tools of our and other governments' attempts to rule the world ... a
difference which puts a whole new complexion on the system and basis of army
training.

By the time I was commissioned as a junior officer VE-day had come, to be
followed by VJ-day before the planned embarkation of my unit for the Far
East, and I spent two very eventual (and, in retrospect) enjoyable and
educative years in occupation duties in Italy and Egypt - in which, as a
very young man, I was entrusted with responsibilities which were vast in
comparison with anything I experienced in the remainder of my professional
life.

It still remains almost impossible for me to enter into any deep
conversation, whether concerned with politics or with family and local
affairs, without harking back to parallels, and sometimes solutions, which
are coloured by my 4 years in the army.

Paddy
<http://apling.freeservers.com