The "50% truths" that Joaquin is "100% sure" I convert into a falsehood "by
cleaving off the other half"  are based on that process, that exercise we
call historical materialism, where we investigate historical process beyond
and beneath their initial, momentary appearances and find the real
precipitating, determining reasons.  Those reasons are the material changes
in the South's economic structure, particularly the relations of land and
landed labor, produced by and in the mechanization of Southern agriculture,
migration to the cities, migration of black labor to Northern cities, and
increased industrialization of the South.