Epoliticus seems to be obsessed with the CPI (Marxist). I have not mentioned
it at all here. Propaganda, like confusion, is in the eyes of the beholder.
The PCPA is not the same as the ³Maoist² leadership, from whose lairs the
main utterances come. The ³Maoists² have not, to my mind, denied
responsibility. The PCPA is a Maoist-backed group.
About the fishplates: these are the joint bars that link the tracks. About
1.5 feet of the track had been ripped out of line. The driver had said there
was a blast. There remains some confusion about that.
On Dantewada, here are some views:
http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/india250510.html. Kishenji says that he
is sorry, and then tells people not to travel by bus ‹ since most buses
would have some security personnel on board. That¹s rum.
In October 1990, the People¹s War Group (parent of the ³Maoist² party) set
alight the Hyderabad-Warangal train. 45 passengers died. PWG hastily said
they didn¹t do it, but four senior members said they did (for which see the
HRW report from September 1992; as well, K. Balagopal¹s earlier assessment,
³The End of Spring?² Economic and Political Weekly, August 25, 1990).
Vijay.

PS: the historian and analyst, Dilip Simeon has written this about the PCPA
denial: ³The denials coming from the PCPA  and by the CPI (Maoist) are
problematic. Firstly, there are several cases of Naxalites targetting
civilians and civilian transport ­ there are instances from Chhatisgarh and
Jharkhand before and after the merger of the MCC and PWG to form the CPI
(Maoist) in 2004.  Its is not new,  in October 1990 the PWG burnt alive 45
passengers in Andhra. Secondly, Naxalism is not a monolith. There are over
45 different naxalite groups, which keep on splintering. Fragmentation is an
in-built aspect of their politics. If the current leadership of the dominant
group were to give up Œpeople¹s war¹, we may be certain that another
splinter will emerge to resist their Œtreachery¹ , keep up the armed
struggle, etc. Third, once embarked upon a course of violent confrontation
(and Jhargram is an area of naxal activity); it is inevitable that the
believers in Œpeoples war¹ will be suspect in any such event, especially
since they have been known to be contemptuous of human life in the past.
Fourth, there may be other groups and persons associated with the Maoists to
some degree or other, who can act on their own. As stated before there is no
monolithic control, this is especially true for organisations adhering to
totalitarian ideologies. Fifth, it would be extremely difficult for anti
Maoist groups to carry out clandestine operations to discredit them in an
area which is their stronghold. Sixth, they may simply have made a mistake ­
as they have done before, in Dantewada in 2005, for example, when a large
number of tribals were blown up in a bus. Then the party apologised. These
were not regular trains, they may have been targetting a goods train. But
the mistake is too gruesome. In any case, what does a lie or two cost for
groups that are convinced that the end justifies the means?²

Vijay Prashad wrote:

> The Maoists have not taken responsibility for the attack, as yet. Their
statements do not come immediately. They take a day or two.

You are incorrect.  The PCAPA has already stated that it is not
responsible.  If you had read the messages posted to this listserv,
instead of gracing us with your presence in order to conduct
pro-CPI(M) propaganda whenever an opportunity presented itself, then
you would have noted Greg McDonald's post from earlier today:

> However, a spokesman for the group, Asit Mahato, denied any role, the Press
Trust of India news agency reported.
> "We were in no way involved. This is not our act," PTI quoted him as saying by
phone.

This statement was also reported in the Hindustan Times.

With respect to the Dantewara attack, readers interested in objective
reportage can obtain additional information at
http://sanhati.com/articles/2408/.
Epoliticus

If fish plates are tie plates, upon which the actual rails rest, and which
in turn rest upon the ties, or "sleepers" as they are called in British
railroad jargon, then their removal should not have caused a catastrophic
derailment.

If  "fish plates" are the plates that join sections of rail together, called
angle bars in the US, then where did the story of :"land mines" come from?