I've been saying for years that ideas and words don't measure these things.
Until we have action--people in the streets--anecdotes about disaffection
with capitalism are just that....  I'm also not (and never have been) that
impressed with the political or other capacities of college students as a
group...

That said, I want to object to the glum generalizations this article
presents...though it's very flattering to those of us produced by more
"empathetic" days.  The article on which this piece is based is online at
http://sitemaker.umich.edu/skonrath/files/empathy_decline.pdf

This presentation is not forthcoming with how it gathered data.  They are
probably doing surveys of some sort.  It is evident that they did not do the
research on the earlier years themselves and, therefore, probably did not do
it the same way or ask the same questions.  There's certainly no indication
that they did so the same way.  For example, are they doing this in groups,
which will change how some of them answer.

Even so, the meaning of words do shift over time and it's hard to say what
people mean in their responses without knowing what they were actually
asked.

And this begs the question of whether students felt some social pressures
earlier to answer the questions as if they experienced more empathy than
they did.

In fact, I note that the sampling in this case is based on having 63% of the
sampling women.  Going back some decades, women were expected to express
more empathy than men.  The survey, if that's what it was, probably measures
the decline of this expectation more than anything else.

ML