http://jdeanicite.typepad.com/i_cite/2010/05/why-i-liked-sex-in-the-city-2.html
Why I liked Sex and the City 2

Already the Guardian is saying that Sex and the City 2 is on its way to
becoming one of the most critically derided films of all time. Here are
a few examples:
New York Post:

     The transformation of the girls from winsome wisecrackers into
whiny bling-obsessed chuckleheads is complete.

New York Times:

     But the ugly smell of unexamined privilege hangs over this film
like the smoke from cheap incense. Over cosmos in their private bar,
Charlotte and Miranda commiserate about the hardships of motherhood and
then raise their glasses to moms who “don’t have help,” by which they
mean paid servants.

The Guardian:

     Not since 1942's Arabian Nights has orientalism been portrayed so
unironically. All Middle Eastern men are shot in a sparkly light with
jingly jangly music just in case you didn't get that these dusky people
are exotic and different. Even leaving aside the question of why anyone
would go on holiday to Abu Dhabi, everyone who has ever watched a TV
show knows that the first rule is: don't take characters out of their
usual environment.

Last night, two friends and I went to see it. We saw it in the Geneva,
NY movieplex. It wasn't sold out, but it was full and, yes, women
outnumbered the men by at least 12:1. The crowd was appreciative and
enthusiastic. Both my friends liked it--and one had hated SATC 1. A bit
more background--all 3 of us are over 40, have been married, have had
kids. From here on in, there will be a lot of spoilers, so if you want
surprises and plan on seeing the movie, stop reading now.

The movie explores fantasy and disappointment (I wonder if the critics
saw the movie or even recognize the fantasy components; my god, one of
the framing devices is old black and white movies, the first with Clark
Gable--It Happened One Night--and the second with Cary Grant--I didn't
recognize it; if those don't signal Depression-era escapism, what
does?). The television series always had a fantastic element--fantasies
of great clothes and apartments on a writer's income, of fulfilling
careers, of complete sexual enjoyment. So not only did the series
actively invite women to imagine themselves as one of the 4 characters,
but it also staged fantasies of fashion, success, romance, and sex. The
best episodes pressed the limits of fantasy. Particularly after 9/11
there was increasing pressure to wake up from the dream. One could
almost say that the failure of the first film was its inability to
resolve or represent the tension between the fantasy of the wedding and
the reality of the end of Carrie's life as a single woman.

(clip)

---

http://culpa.diaryland.com/100603_32.html

I just saw Sex and the City 2 (the new movie), and I really liked it.
There are things about it that I would do differently, and of course
there are plenty of places it goes where I wouldn’t go (it was ever thus
with this crew), but I deeply appreciated some of its storylines.

The first question that will arise here is, well, what do you have to
say about all those bad reviews? Those reviews! They are so rabid and
cruel! How could they exist alongside what you are calling a good
movie?, you ask. Well, I’ll let Jodi Dean speak to that, because I think
she did it very well, and she covers many of the bases.

But I’m going to move on to what I liked, to save myself from
ressentiment. (Jodi escapes that trap by telling the story as she does…
but when I tried to write my own response to the critics, it quickly
began to be a kind of writing I just don’t do. And so, moving on….)

I like the way the movie dealt with the current version of what the show
was always about: how these women rely on their friendships to get them
through what is rough about the rest of life. Miranda is being treated
badly by a misogynist boss, and her job is leaving her very little time
for her family. Charlotte is feeling the heavy pressure of motherhood
and guilt about feeling it as pressure. Samantha is entering menopause
and trying to hold on to the libido that has been so central to her
life. And Carrie is trying to figure out what it means to be married and
happy without children. These are all real problems that real women
might face, and the film deals with them squarely and for the most part
well.

(clip)