Haven't gone through all the numbers in this report, yet.  However, yes,
productivity grew in 2009--

Regarding the overall trend-- in the period 1973-1995 the average annual
increase in US manufacturing productivity was 2.7%; between 1995-2007 that
rate jumps to 4.1%

Overproduction is certainly what's at work here, but overproduction is not
underconsumption.  Overproduction is the overproduction of capital.  The
amplification of the productivity of labor means that greater use values are
produced representing, overall, the same exchange value.    Marx writes [vol
33 of the Collected Works, Economic Manuscripts] " The growth of the
productive power of labor allows more commodities to be produced in the same
labor time... It does not raise the exchange value of the commodity, but
only their quantity.... it rather lessens the exchange value of the
individucal commodity"  However, the total exchange value of all commodities
may increase if more labor is employed in conjunction with proportionately
greater means of production or if the total labor time is increased.  The
bourgeoisie measure productivity with their wallets-- output per unit labor
cost, not hours.

What has occurred has several sources [and manifestations]:  increased
growth of the "fixed portion" of capital-- [distinguished by the initial
outlay, value, that is recuperated over time and by small degrees] reduces
annual returns on the capital advanced;  this fixed capital, as well as all
the commodities produced by it is subject to the constant threat and reality
of devaluation by further increases in productivity [the semiconductor
fabrication industry being one of the most acute examples of this];  and, to
my mind the most important feature which sums it all up and puts a ribbon on
it-- while the totality, the entirety of the fixed capital participates, is
essential to the labor process, is essential to amplifying the productivity
of labor and aggrandizing relative surplus value, only a portion, a small
portion, of this fixed, advanced, capital investment participates in, and is
recoverable through the valorisation process [valorisation meaning the
accrual of value on top of value-- "value added" by the process of
production itself].  Thus we have the contradiction at the core of capital,
the conflict between labor and the conditions of labor, between the laborer
and the owner of the means of production, between the labor process and the
social, class, organization of that labor,  impairing, inhibiting the
expanded reproduction of capital itself.

None of this has anything to do with underconsumption, except that
consumption will reflect what is occurring in this primary exchange between
wage-labor and capital.

Yeah, they fear deflation all right.  No accumulation, no capital.   Without
a constant magnification, capital cannot be capable, cannot reproduce itself
which is nothing but the valorisation process.

I'd say somebody just looked over the precipicel, dropped a stone and still
hasn't heard it hit bottom.

Anyway, Loren Goldner and I are working on a e-publication to appear,
hopefully, soon and in the second issue I'll try to go a bit deeper into the
impacts of "fixed capital."

You read it here first.  Feel free to use my ideas, as long as you give
credit-- and speaking of giving credit-- credit to Michael Perelman for
putting me on the scent, trackin' dog that I am.

Thank you, Michael.