Obama’s War
by Tariq Ali, June 2010

The esteemed historian and novelist on how there is only one path
for the United States in Afghanistan: withdrawal.

Editors’ note: The following talk was given on April 19 to mark
the thirtieth anniversary of the London Review of Books.

Afghanistan now is at a critical stage. And now I’m very glad to
say that the London Review of Books, whose thirtieth anniversary
we are commemorating, has over the years published myself and
others on this subject, taking essentially a critical stance to
this war because, as many of you will recall, it became
fashionable all over the world, not just in the United States, to
think of Iraq and Afghanistan as two very different wars. Which of
course, on one level, they are. But I mean different moral values
were placed on these wars by good-thinking people. The Iraq war
was a bad war, which should never have happened; that is the view
of large numbers of people in the United States today, and always
was the view of an overwhelming majority of Europeans.

full: http://www.guernicamag.com/features/1809/ali_6_15_10/