Sounds like an enticing read, even if by an outsider.  Usually
academic novels are by disgruntled academics.  It's a vicarious kind
of airing of grievances in fiction that have no institutional venting
mechanism in reality.

The only thing that didn't ring true to me was the approach to age.
Any campus of any size certainly has some hangers-on till death do us
part.  I aspire to this myself, since many of the boomers in academe
weren't hired until later in life, which saves money on retirements
and other luxuries for academic labor...

In decades of higher education, I've never seen any particular
sensitivity about age discrimination, unless it's about an aging
administrator that they really, really, really want to hang on to.
It's always seemed to me to be rampant and almost unabashed when it
comes to faculty, secretarial or maintenance staff.  In terms of
faculty, it often seems as though there is an institutional obsession
with getting some really new people (the so-called "newly minted PhD")
as a means of papering over the almost unvarying institutional
hostility to any really new ideas.  :-)

ML