exactly so, and such pedantry was also about buying into ruling class
pundits' complacent assertions that such regimes are merely military
dictatorships and not really fascist and thus really not so bad-and surely
not worse than the bogeyman of Stalinism-so why flip out like "ultra-lefts"
with their political theater of exaggeration etc.  Moreover, leaving that
aside, closer inspection reveals that these brutal regimes and their
supporters really did have a lot in common with the "fascists" of the 1930s
with they and their followers being open admirers of the same.  I remember
back in high school circa 1970 getting into a discussion with an exchange
student from Italy about the Greek Colonels and parroting our party line
that they weren't fascist.  The Italian comrade became completely
flabbergasted asserting that I had a complacent and pedantic attitude that
thought "military dictatorship" was merely just some other garden variety of
class dictatorship like "bourgois democracy" that we don't need to get too
bent out of shape  about.