> Hi Gary,
>  I have to disagree with most of what you write (or what you agree with
> what
> Waistline wrote).
>
> First (in reverse order) Israel is not a 'colony' of the US. I'm not sure
> why you state it is, perhaps you can explain.

Dear DW,

thank you for reading my post and producing this thoughtful and thought
provoking critique. The early Zionists always knew they would need a major
imperial partner to accomplish the re-settlement of Palestine. They
positioned themselves along side Balfour seeking to take advantage of the
collapse of the Ottoman Empire. Without that sponsorship they would never
have succeeded. The crucial Arab revolt of 1935-7 also needed British troops
to put it down.  Alone the early Zionist settlers would have been swept
away.

True there were post-war problems and tension between the Stern Gang and
British troops leading among other things to British abstention on the vital
UN vote.  But Jordan's military superiority was kept in check by the
British.  Glubb Pasha would not go beyond the UN line of demarcation, and
his king was in receipt of a major bribe from the Israelis. If the Jordanian
army had attacked properly and used its early logistic superiority then the
whole tale of the Nakba would have been very different.

Now we come to the present post-Suez relationship, where America is the
major Imperial sponsor in military and budgetary terms.  For example in 1973
Israel ran out of ammo and only an emergency air lift ordered by Nixon saved
them. I could also mention the solid backing USA gives to head off any
possible UN action against Israel.

So the transfers between the US and Israel are *military, financial and
political*.  There is also anecdotal evidence that the USA is becoming the
missing Mother Country for the settlers in particular. So that adds the
transfer of *personnel* between US and Israel.

Let me think about the rest of your post and I will reply (tomorrow
probably).

comradely regards

Gary