NY Times July 23, 2010
The Upbeat Final Days and Busy Future of Harvey Pekar
By DAVE ITZKOFF

Tara Seibel, a Cleveland cartoonist and graphic designer, has a
particularly vivid memory of the last time she saw Harvey Pekar.

It was July 11, and she and Mr. Pekar, the writer and “American
Splendor” creator, whom she describes as “the godfather of auto-bio
comics,” had finished one of their regular afternoon meetings at a
neighborhood cafe where they had been working on their latest
collaboration. She dropped him off at a public library, where he had
parked his car, then drove herself home.

She waited for him to phone her that night so they could continue their
discussion, but Mr. Pekar never called; he was found dead early the next
morning by his wife, Joyce Brabner.

Their collaboration, an illustrated essay that Mr. Pekar and Ms. Seibel
wrote together and Ms. Seibel drew, will appear in the catalog for the
exhibition “Graphic Details: Confessional Comics by Jewish Women,” which
opens at the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco on Oct. 1. It may be
the last comic that Mr. Pekar helped write before he died, but it is
just one of several works that will be released in the months to come.

Stories that he wrote for the Pekar Project — a Web comic that is
illustrated in rotating installments by Ms. Seibel, Joseph Remnant, Rick
Parker and Sean Pryor — are still to come, as is a 2011 graphic novel,
“Cleveland,” that is being illustrated by Mr. Remnant. The Pekar
Project, which appears in Smith Magazine, is also continuing to accept
submissions for its Harvey Heads gallery, for which various artists have
drawn Mr. Pekar to celebrate his 70th birthday last October. Though Mr.
Pekar is often portrayed, even in his own comics, as an endearingly
cantankerous and occasionally neurotic person, Ms. Seibel described him
in a telephone interview as being cheerful in his final days.

“He just seemed so happy and so upbeat,” said Ms. Seibel, who worked
with Mr. Pekar on comics that appeared in Newcity.com, The Cleveland
Free Times, The Austin Chronicle and The Jewish Review of Books. “I’m
not kidding.”

Ms. Seibel recalled Mr. Pekar as a fellow workaholic who accompanied her
to used-book sales, became friendly with her husband and read stories to
her children. Before Mr. Pekar’s death, she said, she spoke with him
about Cleveland’s loss of another local celebrity, LeBron James, who
announced on July 8 that he was signing with the Miami Heat. She said
she told him that Mr. Remnant wrote on his Facebook page, “It’s O.K.,
Cleveland, you still have Harvey Pekar.”

“He just lit up,” Ms. Seibel said. “He was so excited about that. I
think it really put him in a really good mood right away. He loved
praise. He just ate it up. And it was no skin off my back to always pass
compliments along to him. I’m sure that’s one of the reasons he liked to
work with me.”

Recently, Ms. Seibel said of Mr. Pekar: “He was starting to complain
about certain things aching here and there. It was getting harder for
him to walk, I noticed. He had said that there was cancer that was back.
But he didn’t know what type it was yet, he was waiting to find out.”

“But he was optimistic about it,” she said, adding that she was amazed
at how well Mr. Pekar took the news, given how much milder difficulties
could sometimes upset him.

“He could be sitting there worried, all rumpled up over $500” that he
was waiting for, Ms. Seibel said, “versus having cancer. I was really
surprised at how optimistic he was.”

Still, Ms. Seibel said, she did not expect to lose Mr. Pekar so quickly.

“We thought he was going to be around forever,” she said. “I was
expecting to have him around for a lot longer.”

"He didn’t seem, like, real old," Ms. Seibel added. "He was kind of like
a hipster."