Jim Webb is tragically stupid here: he goes through an interesting argument
that underlines the class oppression of white Southerners (the Scots Irish are
his favorites--here appearing as "Irish Protestants"), and it's quite striking
and convincing. He even talks about the ways in which the key class dynamic of
the American South consisted of the white ruling class setting the black and
white working classes against each other.

Then, when it comes time to point the way toward a resolution, what does he
give us? An attack on Taft-Hartley, that would allow black and white and
immigrant to organize economic equality by organizing labor in those hidebound
"right-to-work" states? A review of those rare but bracing moments like the
Southern Tenant Farmers Union that brought together poor blacks and whites
together fighting against white agrarian capitalists? Some other vision of poor
blacks and whites and immigrants coming together?

No, all he can find to complain about is "government-directed diversity
programs" and the classic nonsensical capitalist ethic of "enabling opportunity
for all." Webb's essay, like those of Walter Benn Michaels, help to explain why
poor whites remain poor whites; poor blacks, poor blacks; and poor immigrants,
poor immigrants.

For more hope, see Studs Terkel's interview with a former Klansman, C. P. Ellis:
http://www.bestcyrano.org/terkelEllisIntervu.htm

Where
 should we go from here? Beyond our continuing obligation to assist
those African-Americans still in need, government-directed diversity
programs should end.
Nondiscrimination laws should be applied
equally among all citizens, including those who happen to be white. The
need for inclusiveness in our society is undeniable and irreversible,
both in our markets and in our communities. Our government should be in
the business of enabling opportunity for all, not in picking winners. It
 can do so by ensuring that artificial distinctions such as race do not
determine outcomes.
Memo to my fellow politicians: Drop the
Procrustean policies and allow harmony to invade the public mindset.
Fairness will happen, and bitterness will fade away.
    Mr. Webb, a Democrat, is a U.S. senator from Virginia.