http://www.thenation.com/article/38011/changing-places
Changing Places
D.D. Guttenplan | July 28, 2010

Permit me, as the English say, to declare an interest. I was first
told the story of the death of Yvonne Hitchens by her oldest son
on the weekend of April 8, 1989. Christopher and his wife, Eleni,
put us up at their house in Washington on our way to an abortion
rights march. Abortion was a touchy subject with the Hitchenses,
and not just because Eleni was pregnant with their second child.
There had been a party in the afternoon, but the atmosphere was
hardly festive. Our hosts seemed to be attempting, with limited
success, to suppress a long-running quarrel. (It can't have been
much more than a month later that Christopher left Eleni for Carol
Blue, whom he eventually married.) As the house slowly emptied I
found myself alone with Christopher, who, either because he
noticed my distracted air or wanted to change the subject, soon
elicited the fact that I'd spent an earlier part of the day
visiting my mother in the hospital where she was undergoing
treatment for cancer.

I was feeling both anxious and guilty. Christopher's response was
to sit me down, fill our glasses and tell me about being summoned
to Athens too late to talk his mother out of taking her life. I
wasn't making notes—his apotheosis as a world-historical figure
and scourge of the believers was many years in the future—so I
can't recall exactly how he introduced the topic. Nor can I recall
all the sordid details, though I did come away knowing that his
mother's suicide in 1973 had marked him in ways he generally
preferred not to consider. What I can recall was my sense of a man
whose life seemed, on many levels, to be a kind of performance,
allowing himself to be "off," and to offer the only consolation he
could: not cheerfulness, not competitive misery, but an
acknowledgment that sometimes life just sucks. If any more
evidence on that question were needed, in recent weeks the
Internet has buzzed with the news that Hitchens is undergoing
treatment for cancer of the esophagus, a disease, as ABC announced
with barely restrained glee, "associated with smoking and
drinking, habits Hitchens extolled as virtues."

The pathetic circumstances of Yvonne Hitchens's last days have
been told many times, and to many journalists. After a long,
passionless marriage to a midranking officer in the Royal Navy,
himself forcibly retired and working as a bookkeeper in a boys'
boarding school, Yvonne fell in love with a former Anglican
priest, only to have both their lives end in a suicide pact far
from home. When I say that those last days have never been told so
movingly, or with such filial tenderness, as in the pages of
Hitch-22, you may think I am hardly an impartial witness. Fair
enough. But where Hitchens is concerned, neutrality is liable to
be in short supply.

Described as "a memoir," this book is a full-frontal
self-portrait, not an apologia; as the author would doubtless want
us to note, "Never Apologize, Never Explain" was the title of
Edmund Wilson's 1944 New Yorker tribute to Evelyn Waugh. By turns
beguiling, annoying, fascinating and infuriating, Hitch-22 catches
the tone, if not the totality, of the man. We learn that the
object of his earliest amorous attentions was a classmate named
Guy, "a sort of strawberry blond, very slightly bow-legged, with a
wicked smile that seemed to promise both innocence and
experience." Later on, after his tastes turned more conventional,
Hitchens allowed himself a "mildly enjoyable relapse" with "two
young men who later became members of Margaret Thatcher's
government." Of his two wives, however, he says almost nothing.
Readers expecting a full account of our hero's life and loves—or
even of how he went about earning his trench coat—will be
disappointed. So too will anyone expecting the kind of
tough-minded dissection Hitchens practiced with such panache on
the self-serving delusions of Henry Kissinger, Isaiah Berlin,
Norman Podhoretz and Conor Cruise O'Brien.

Yet the book is a reminder that even on his worst days, Hitchens
still writes well enough to be entertaining. At his best he is an
unrivaled polemicist: a "strong writer" whose style leaves a
lasting furrow in the reader's mind and whose arguments, no matter
how seemingly wrongheaded, are almost always worth taking
seriously. Hitch-22 also has a built-in advantage: all
self-portraits are illuminating, though not always in the way the
artist intended. You would hardly guess from the brief, warm
allusion to O'Brien as "a man of considerable mind" that while
alive the Irish writer had been on the receiving end of a
comprehensive kicking by Hitchens. Nor would Hitchens's past
relish in repeatedly putting the rhetorical boot into Podhoretz
seem credible to anyone encountering the rare, anodyne invocations
of the father of neoconservatism here. Hitchens's new friends on
the right might be tempted to trace his earlier lèse-majesté to
the malign influence of his former friend, co-conspirator and
fellow Nation columnist Alexander Cockburn—himself a conspicuous
absence in these pages. But before we examine what Hitchens leaves
out, we might consider what he leaves in.

(clip)