In reference to the suggestion to picket Peretz for his racist
anti-Muslim comments (see bottom), the same day not far away is a
protest against the Wiesenthal Museum of Intolerance. Maybe folks
could go from one to the other? (I've bcc'd the organizer of the
Wiesenthal event.)
Please join us on Thursday, September 16th 5:30-7:00 PM in front of
the Museum of Tolerance, 226 E 42nd Street, between 2nd and 3rd
Avenues
AS WE SAY:
·      NO! to Islamophobia and anti-Arab racism in New York City and
across the country
·      NO! to the leadership of the Museum of Tolerance for promoting
Islamophobia
·      YES! to dignity, respect, and justice for all religions,
cultures, and peoples
The Simon Wiesenthal Center’s Museum of Tolerance opened its doors in
NYC in August 2010.  Rather than being a Jewish voice for tolerance in
the City, its leadership has already made itself heard as a voice for
intolerance by opposing the building of an Islamic cultural center,
Park51, in its current site. The museum’s opposition reinforces the
Islamophobic notion that all Muslims are responsible for the 9/11
attack. To be true to its name, the Museum of Tolerance needs to take
strong and consistent stands against Islamophobia and anti-Arab
racism.
As Jews, we understand well how hateful stereotypes easily become
vehicles for exclusion, demonization, discrimination and violence. Our
history teaches us that we must always stand up against injustice. And
we recognize the connections among our many movements for justice and
equity, such as those of low-income and communities of color,
immigrant communities, women, LGBT communities, and groups fighting
for religious and cultural expression.
In the period between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, many of us reflect
upon the past year and think about the ways we can participate in the
struggle for a more just world.  During this time of increased
anti-Arab racism and Islamophobia in NYC, in the U.S. and across the
world, we want to make clear our opposition to the targeting of Muslim
and Arab communities since 9/11 and to the use of Islamophobia as a
means of shaping U.S. foreign policies.
Please wear black if you can. Allies are welcome and encouraged to join us.
Sponsored by American Jews for a Just Peace, Jewish Voice for Peace,
Jews for Racial and Economic Justice, and Jews Say No!
For further information: jewssa...@gmail.com