Actually, what provoked my statement about "not holding together" was
the withdrawal from the UNAC Continuations Committee of Peace Action,
one of the largest antiwar organizations in the country, and a group
with which my committee is affiliated. That was in addition to United
States Labor Against the War and the National Lawyers Guild. USLAW
declined to participate in the UNAC CC to begin with. The NLG
withdrew its representative after the first meeting, as did Peace
Action. It's a lot more than a handful of "former activists"—actually
continuing activists, not former activists—in the National Assembly,
unfortunately. My intention is not to cast any aspersions on the
Albany conference, which I thought was a great success, but to point
to some of the challenges that lie ahead for the spring and the hope
that in the aftermath of a successful October 2 rally a new spirit of
unity can prevail. We will need unity with Peace Action, USLAW, NLG
and other forces to make the April 9 demonstrations successful.

Tom