I would like to recommend the following book to anyone who is interested in
studies of whiteness. The book and the blurb are by the author, Steve Martinot.
In my view, this book crosses boundaries and presents a very readable account
of "whiteness."

*************

ANNOUNCING

The publication of my latest book

"The Machinery of Whiteness:

studies in the structures of racialization in the US"

by Steve Martinot

>From Temple University Press

The book's focus is a description of the cultural structures of racialization
in the US. Though the concept that race is a social construct has gained
increasing acceptance, I argue that this is insufficient. We also need to
describe in cultural detail the structures that are socially constructed as
"race." Rather than think of "race" as an existent, I interpret it as a social
activity, something that one group of people (whites) does to others whom they
racialize for their own (white) social and identity purposes. The structures
whereby these social activities are promulgated include not only the
institutionalities of discrimination, instrumentalization, and segregation, but
the cultural scripting of the performance of whiteness by which white people
manifest their racialized identities, and enact their membership in the white
social framework.

To apprehend the cultural structures underlying both white institutionality and
the panoply of racialized identities, I examine the social and institutional
forms racialization takes in different periods of US history, and extract
structural commonalities from their differences. These commonalities become
elements signifying the operations of an underlying cultural structure. The
purpose of plumbing the depths of this cultural structure in the US is not only
to explain how it is that the cultural cohesion of whiteness and white
supremacy continually reasserts itself against democratizing movements that,
throughout US history, have attempted to controvert its social and political
power (such as abolitionism or the civil rights movements), but to render those
underlying structures discernible so that we can be proactive rather than
simply reactive against them.

To this end, I examine (among other things) the instrumentalization of women
for the processes of social racialization, the use of prison industries and
different historical forms of a police-prison complex, the racialization of
class structures, the function of the US political party system in the overall
process of racialization, and the existence and character of white populism.