Education is a funny business.  (Aren't they all?)

We've known what works ever since we started establishing schools on a
regular basis.  Find out what students want to study and connect that to
what you want them to learn.  That is, you need more teachers, more
attention to each individual learner, and more time on task.

Yet, the geniuses who dabble in "education reform" never fail to ignore
this.  Every year, they invent some great new problem-solving innovation
that's going to improve teaching....from writing across the curriculum to
the internet.  However, the system is such that misidentify what are good
and poor ideas...and to misapply the former in such a way as to make them
not work....  And always in such a way as to reduce the numbers of teachers
in secure jobs.

Maybe it's not so funny after all....

ML