"I showed them that during the American Revolution drunkards, laggards,
prostitutes, and pirates pioneered many of the freedoms and pleasures we
now cherish
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thaddeus-russell/11-freedoms-that-drunks-s_b_759831.html>

-- including non-marital sex, interracial socializing, dancing,
shopping, divorce, and the weekend -- and that the Founding Fathers, in
the name of democracy, opposed them. I argued not only that many white
Americans envied slaves but also that they did so for good reason, since
slave culture offered many liberating alternatives to the highly
repressive, work-obsessed, anti-sex culture of the early United States.
I demonstrated that prostitutes, not feminists, won virtually all the
freedoms that were denied to women but are now taken for granted. By
tracing the path of immigrants from arrival as "primitives" to
assimilation as "civilized" citizens, I explained that white people lost
their rhythm by becoming good Americans. I presented evidence that
without organized crime, we might not have jazz, Hollywood, Las Vegas,
legal alcohol, birth control, or gay rights, since only gangsters were
willing to support those projects when respectable America shunned them."

full:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thaddeus-russell/fired-teaching-american-history_b_767172.html