This is a pitch for Swans Magazine that is having its yearly
fund-drive. Yesterday I told Gilles d'Aymery, the editor, that
donations might be slow coming in since there is a widespread
assumption that everything is free on the Internet.

That is simply not true. To maintain a website like Swans involves
monthly payments to an ISP, yearly registration for a domain, and
lots of other costs involved with infrastructure. Before Marxmail
was made part of the U. of Utah economics department network, I
was paying up to $200 per month so I know what I am talking about
here.

This of course does not begin to address the hard work that Gilles
puts into a very fine magazine. I don't think that this
fund-raising effort will amount to a yearly wage, since the goal
is $2500 as opposed to Counterpunch's $75,000 goal for its own
fund drive taking place now.

I have been writing for Swans since 2003 and consider it the only
place worth my time and effort. After seeing the capriciousness of
both high-profile websites like Counterpunch and Znet, as well as
academic leftist publishers, Swans continues to impress me as an
essential vehicle for both political and cultural thought on the
left. It is a place where you will find Michal Barker's ongoing
investigations of how Soros-style philanthropy undermines the
left, while supposedly supporting it. It is also where you will
find a new contributor Paul Buhle writing about comic book art,
his latest passion in a life-long career writing about popular
culture from a Marxist perspective. You simply could not find
better writing in print or electronically no matter how hard you
tried.

With a modest goal of $2500, it should not be hard to meet with
relatively modest contributions. I am about to donate $25 through
Paypal (http://www.swans.com/about/donate.html) and urge you to do
so as well. $5 or $10 would hardly make a dent in your budget but
it would certainly matter a lot to the Swans editors when received
by a large number of people. Like many Americans, Gilles and his
wife and co-editor Jan Baughman are going through some hard times
now and every little bit will help.

Thanks for your consideration.