Well, it seems that getting under 9,000 in a state as big as Texas isn't
quite "no different" than tens of thousands in some other states.  But
that's our problem with the Greens, isn't it?  That chronic unevenness among
their level of organization and seriousness.

You have some state parties that consist of serious, organized, and engaged
members.  Our best hopes for an insurgency have always rested on
them...people who were choosing to make a conscious and deliberate break
from the Democrats.

However, the party is organized by social workers, teachers, NGO officers
and various others wedded to the most bureaucratic and hierarchic kinds of
structures.  There are always some of them who style themselves as power
brokers who are going to coax the Democrats left-ward by bartering away the
party's independence.  Here, the other "leaders" always defer to these, the
most rotten and consciously sellout characters in the bunch.

What we really need is some sort of nonpartisan committee to encourage
progressive independent political action that could support Greens or
anybody serious when they're mounting a solid campaign.  This could also be
used to encourage radicals to climb down out of their tree houses and
cooperate with each other.

ML