Thank you very much for your question. Looking at the paper, I see
that I did not make the connection very clearly. Here's what's going
on:  increasing capital intensity generally puts the cost of plant and
equipment beyond the means of an individual person. The most rapid
period of growth of the stock market in United States came with the
expansion of railroads. The market values of financial assets becomes
dependent upon speculative behavior, leading to a disconnect between
the financial system and the underlying real economy. The resulting
fictitious values give signals to capital that eventually create
crises.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department