----- Original Message -----
From: "DW" <dwalters...@gmail.com>

> Michael,
> I think the comparison one "what China is doing" with the what the US
> is or
> was doing are like apples and koala bears. There simply is no
> comparison
> albeit the motivations for both economies might be similar.

Actually David I should clarify that the main point I was making was to
ridicule the claim in the WSJ article that it is the "free market" in
the US which was being contrasted to China's "state-capitalism" or
whatever we call it, pointing to the fact that the US state (and other
capitalist states) also give huge favours, include bucket loads of cash,
to favoured businesses. I wasn't saying they are the same, but I concede
my "China does it better" is a significant understatement.

In fact while I agree with most of SArtesian's comments I probably am
somewhat more impressed than he is, quite genuinely, with what China has
done the last half-decade, and not only from the point of view of it
being more effective from a capitalist point of view than the US
"model." A lot of that infrastructure probably is good and necessary,
and as you say the Chinese capitalist state is being very successful -
well apparently, to date anyway - in promoting its national bourgeoisie.
Perhaps a better comparison than the current US "stimulus" would be
Roosevelt's infrastructure program. But that is kind of the point too -
US and Chinese capitalism have different needs and are at very different
stages of development.

It's quite possible however that quite a lot of that infrastrcuture is
not so good and necessary, however, as the drive to hand out contracts
to the national bourgeoisie and semi-'state' companies driven by profit,
and with connections to various politicians, can have a life of its own
in the process of accumulation of capital. If some of it does become
dinosaurs it won't be those making a buck now who will pay in the
future.

For example, I haven't studied much about China's High Speed Rail but
SArtesian's explanation of why such trains can't carry freight was very
enlightening, because Vietnam has just gone through a similar
discussion, and I hadn't quite got it (the point being that if they
could carry freight they may be a little more viable). In Vietnam's
case, the proposal was to build a 350 km/hr HSR from Hanoi to Saigon, to
do the trip in 6 hours. Now personally that sounds like a dream to me,
I'd do that rather than take a plane any day, but at a cost of 54
billion USD - some 50-60% of the country's GDP on one project - it met
huge opposition and was actually voted down by the National Assembly
despite strong advocacy by the government and most of the party
leadership. How much land was it going to steal from peasants for shitty
compensation, how many normal small roads or train lines or bridges or
other simple infrastructure that would actually be used by people
throughout the country could have been built with just a fraction of
this sum? I'm glad it was canned, and I just wonder how many similar
issues there are with the Chinese case.

Actually it is not the only piece of grand infrastrcuture development
recently rejected by the National Assembly following much opposition
recently, it also rejected a plan by the government to move the entire
governing apparatus from the centre to a new developing part of Hanoi
where the rich have moved to; many believed it was a way for a bunch of
connected people to buy up land cheap and cash in as land prices in the
area hit the sky.

The fact that things get knocked back here (there was also a small scale
victory in a major park in hanoi preventing hotel development, for
example) is one reason the development of infrastrcuture is so far
behind China, though of course being a much poorer country has much to
do with that too. My problem with all these articles about how
"dizzying" China's recent infrastructure development has been is how
much of a story are we missing about peasants and poor urban residents
being shunted off their living places, relocated, getting shitty
compensation, how many small scale struggles were efficiently suppressed
by the cops in order for such a "dizzying" speed to have been achieved.
One of this plethora of articles for example described how the IOC had
to tell China to slow down as it had completed its Olympic Stadium so
long before time. What tales of resistance and suppression were involved
there? The result certainly is impressive - we recently went up to
Beijing and its a first world city, whole worlds away from Hanoi.

As for where you deny state companies are putting much into real estate,
luxury apartment blocks, luxury hotels and other such "construction"
nonsense, there was this article posted several months ago "State Owned
Bidders Fuel Chinas Land Boom"
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/02/business/global/02chinareal.html which
claimed that "All around the nation, giant state-owned oil, chemical,
military, telecom and highway groups are bidding up prices on sprawling
plots of land for big real estate projects unrelated to their core
businesses" and gave plenty of examples, and further noted quite
succinctly, I thought, the connection between out of control
infrastrcuture development under capitalism and the drive for profit by
the capitalist class, where it wrote:

"Rosealea Yao, an analyst at Dragonomics, a research consultant in
Beijing, says a growing number of municipalities have formed local
investment vehicles that borrow heavily from state-owned banks to
pay to relocate residents and build infrastructure around big
plots of land they intend to sell at auction. (In China, local
governments cannot directly borrow from banks or issue bonds for
real estate development.) Those off-balance-sheet debts are essentially
bets on rising land
prices, she says, which could become big liabilities if land
prices were to decline sharply or the auction market were to dry up.

"This is why local governments are so enthusiastic about
infrastructure," Ms. Yao says. "They borrow to build something
that raises the value of the land they want to sell at auction."

We know the problem well in Vietnam, but it is a more recent phenomenon,
at least in such an open form, because it is only in the last
half-decade that state enterprises have been "liberalised" away from
having to fulfil certain core functions with the bulk of their cash, and
allowed to pump investment into hotels, real estate, stock market etc,
leading to the hyper-inflationary boom-crash opera of 2007-8. A major
scandal has now erupted over Vinashin, the state-owned (but with
"equitised", ie semi-privatised) subsidiaries, which was provided
massive quantities of state money from 2006 to develop VN into a great
port and shiping nation, but which pumped a lot of it into all this
other rubbish, and much of this has now disappeared down a black hole. I
suspect in the long run SArtesian's predictions about a big bust in
China are probably right, but with such a huge economy it has lots more
assets to draw on and such a time of reckoning may be some time off yet.