I have been calling Israel an apartheid state for years now--I was
quite surprised to see my analysis was rubbish.

Well, not just my analysis.  For anyone interested, the following is a
link to a substantial study conducted in South Africa by an
international team of scholars, jurists, etc.  Executive Summary and
Full Report are available.  Sorry if this was posted here before...

--begin quote--
The Human Sciences Research Council of South Africa (HSRC) has
released a study indicating that Israel is practicing both colonialism
and apartheid in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT). The study
is being posted for public debate on this website.

The HSRC commissioned an international team of scholars and
practitioners of international public law from South Africa, the
United Kingdom, Israel and the West Bank to conduct the study. The
resulting 300-page draft, titled Occupation, Colonialism, Apartheid?:
A re-assessment of Israel's practices in the occupied Palestinian
territories under international law, represents 15 months of research
and constitutes an exhaustive review of Israel's practices in the OPT
according to definitions of colonialism and apartheid provided by
international law. The project was suggested originally by the January
2007 report by eminent South African jurist John Dugard, in his
capacity as Special Rapporteur to the United Nations Human Rights
Council, when he indicated that Israel practices had assumed
characteristics of colonialism and apartheid.
[...]
The Report finds that Israeli practices in the OPT exhibit the same
[as South Africa] three 'pillars' of apartheid:

The first pillar "derives from Israeli laws and policies that
establish Jewish identity for purposes of law and afford a
preferential legal status and material benefits to Jews over
non-Jews".

The second pillar is reflected in "Israel's 'grand' policy to fragment
the OPT [and] ensure that Palestinians remain confined to the reserves
designated for them while Israeli Jews are prohibited from entering
those reserves but enjoy freedom of movement throughout the rest of
the Palestinian territory. This policy is evidenced by Israel's
extensive appropriation of Palestinian land, which continues to shrink
the territorial space available to Palestinians; the hermetic closure
and isolation of the Gaza Strip from the rest of the OPT; the
deliberate severing of East Jerusalem from the rest of the West Bank;
and the appropriation and construction policies serving to carve up
the West Bank into an intricate and well-serviced network of connected
settlements for Jewish-Israelis and an archipelago of besieged and
non-contiguous enclaves for Palestinians".

The third pillar is "Israel's invocation of 'security' to validate
sweeping restrictions on Palestinian freedom of opinion, expression,
assembly, association and movement [to] mask a true underlying intent
to suppress dissent to its system of domination and thereby maintain
control over Palestinians as a group."

---end quote---

http://www.hsrc.ac.za/Media_Release-378.phtml