The jailing of Julian Assange today in the UK amounts to perhaps the
most significant revelation to emerge from the Wikileaks operations. It
is a clear sign that we in the "democratic West" are not living in a
free society.

Whenever before was Interpol mobilized to such an extent to jail someone
on such dubious charges?

It is obvious that Assange is being persecuted for revelations that
could conceivably arouse public opinion to oppose the war policies of
the United States. That is only a remote possibility, given the
ideological indoctrination of Euro-Atlantic populations, but the threat
is considered serious enough to mobilize the judicial power of the U.S.
empire to make an example of Julian Assange.

If Assange is not released soon, I propose forming a committee to
nominate him for the Nobel Peace Prize. Obviously the Norwegian stooges
who awarded first Obama and then a Chinese dissident, whose cause was by
no means as related to peace as that of Assange, but the nomination
would at least help expose the hypocritical double standards that
contribute to this deadly ideological indoctrination.

Diana Johnstone