When I saw version I of True Grit I liked it immensely never having seen
John Wayne play someone not 10 feet tall and altogether altruistic...even in
the Green Berets, the pro-war, a-historical nonsense fable of the role of
the Special Forces in Vietnam, it was a laughable role. I was also about 13
when that came out. I always thought the condensation toward Wayne from
Hollywood was for his role in the Shootist, played opposite Kathleen
Hepburn, where Wayne truly played his cancer-ridden self. Interestingly,
Wayne converted to Catholicism on his death bed. Odd, that.

Having read the original novel "True Grit" this version was closer, it
seemed, to the novel than the first version with Wayne. It
was...grittier...to say the least, being more Coen brothers than Disney,
which the Wayne movie was with the sappy music. I thought Hailee Steinfeld's
performance was as good as it could be from a 14 year old actor. She stole
the show, quite honestly, and did so far better than Kim Darby's version of
the Ross girl. Her bargaining with a horse trader in town is almost worth
seeing the movie for this reason alone.

Though no fault of his own, the Lebouf character played by Matt Dameon was,
IMO, terrible...never quite establishing what the 'character' of the
character was supposed to be. He seemed poorly directed by whatever Coen
brother was in charge that day. Glen Cambell actually played him better in
1969 that Damon, a real actor, played him in this film.

I also thought it rather cheap (as in cheap laughs) the Cogburn's
character's rough treatment of the Native American kids sitting out in front
of the house that Louis describes in his review. Racist? Probably. True to
character? Absolutely. Louis, however, fails to explain Cogburn's anger at
these children in his review: they were torturing a horse with sharp stick
as he and Matty rode up on them. I suspect his attitude toward this kids
would be the same had they been white.

Unlike Louis, I go into any movie with the view of watching the film of what
the movie *itself* is trying to show me, with little expectations, and as
little prejudice as possible. I couldn't care less, nor would I let it color
my view of a movie because of the *politics* of the actor involved. I loved
the Jesse Stone mini-series of detective shows on CBS despite Tom Selleck's
pimping for National Review and Ronald Reagan. Don't care. Never will.

Lastly, I don't even own a DVD player. I see movies the way they were meant
to be seen: on a BIG screen, with lots of people in the theatre. I know
Louis is a kind of "professional" online movie reviewer, gets free movies in
the mail (he once wrote here) and envy him for that, in a way. But I
remember the discussion around Avatar and couldn't help but wonder, never
did ask, if he watched this in the theatre or at home? Movies, *especially*
Westerns, should be seen on big movie screens.

David