Here are a few thoughts from Fidel Castro on this horrific event:

Reflections by Comrade Fidel

AN ATROCIOUS ACT

Sad news was broadcast this afternoon from the United States:
Gabrielle Giffords, Democratic congresswoman for Arizona, was the
victim of a criminal attempt while taking part at a political meeting
at her electoral district in Tucson. On the other side of the border
lies Mexico, the Latin American country to which that territory used
to belong when, in an unjust war, more than one half of its area was
seized from it.

Along its arid surface, many of those who emigrate from Mexico,
Central America and other Latin American countries try to escape
hunger, poverty and the underdevelopment to which those countries
have been led by the United States. Money and goods can freely cross
the border; human beings cannot. Without mentioning the drugs and
weapons that cross that line in either direction.

Hundreds of thousands of Latin Americans who work in that country
doing the toughest and worst paid jobs are captured each year and
sent back to their points of departure, many times separated from
their closest kin. They were hoping that the new administration would
correct that criminal and inhuman policy.

According to just-arrived news, 18 people were shot and six died,
among them a 9-year-old girl and Federal Judge John Roll.

The congresswoman was seriously wounded by a bullet in the head.
Doctors were fighting to save her life.

She is married to NASA astronaut Mark Kelly. She was first elected to
Congress in 2006 at the age of 36. “She is a supporter of migrant
reform, stem cell research and alternative energy”, measures that are
hated by the far right.

She was re-elected as the Democratic representative in the past
elections.

When her father was asked whether she had any enemies, he replied:
"The entire Tea Party”.

It is known that the former US vice-presidential candidate in the
2008 elections and Tea Party leader, Sarah Palin, published on her
website, as the aim for supporters of her party, a map of the
congressional districts of 20 of the representatives who had backed
President Obama's proposed health reform bill and she had them marked
with the viewfinder of a rifle.

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords' political opponent was a former
Marine who appeared in the electoral campaign with an M-16 in a
message which apparently stated: "Help get rid of Gabrielle
Giffords...shoot the entire ammo chamber of an M-16 with Jesse
Kelly."

In March 2010, Gabrielle's district office was attacked. She stated
that when people do that they were going to have to be aware of the
consequences; political leaders should get together and set limits.

Any sensible person could well wonder whether such an act happened in
Afghanistan or in an electoral district in Arizona.

Obama stated: “…an unspeakable tragedy, a number of Americans were
shot…”

“And while we are continuing to receive information, we know that
some have passed away, and that Representative Giffords is gravely
wounded…”.

“We do not yet have all the answers. What we do know is that such a
senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free
society….”

“ I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping
Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their
families in our prayers.”

His appeal is quite dramatic and very sad. Even those of us who don’t
share his political or philosophical ideas in the least sincerely
hope that no children, judges, congressmen or any US citizen should
die in such an absurd and unjustifiable way.

It is sad to remember that in the world every year many millions of
people are dying as the consequence of absurd wars, poverty, growing
famines and the deterioration of the environment promoted by the
wealthiest and most developed nations on the planet.

We would like Obama and the United States Congress to share those
concerns with all the other peoples.

Fidel Castro Ruz

January 8, 2011

9:11 p.m.