King's BEYOND VIETNAM speech given at Riverside Church
in New York City on April 4, 1967, provides a side of
King's political evolution which is usually omitted in
the dominant commercial media's presentation of King.

They hated and reviled Dr. King when he said:

My third reason moves to an even deeper level of awareness, for it
grows out of my experience in the ghettoes of the North over the last
three years -- especially the last three summers. As I have walked
among the desperate, rejected and angry young men I have told them
that Molotov cocktails and rifles would not solve their problems. I
have tried to offer them my deepest compassion while maintaining my
conviction that social change comes most meaningfully through
nonviolent action. But they asked -- and rightly so -- what about
Vietnam? They asked if our own nation wasn't using massive doses of
violence to solve its problems, to bring about the changes it wanted.
Their questions hit home, and I knew that I could never again raise
my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without
having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in
the world today -- my own government. For the sake of those boys, for
the sake of this government, for the sake of hundreds of thousands
trembling under our violence, I cannot be silent.

FULL: http://icujp.org/king.shtml

Here's the New York Times editorial response:

THE NEW YORK TIMES
Editorial
April 7, 1967

Dr. King's Error

In recent speeches and statements the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
has linked his personal opposition to the war in Vietnam with the
cause of Negro equality in the United States. The war, he argues,
should be stopped not only because it is a futile war waged for the
wrong ends but also because it is a barrier to social progress in
this country and therefore prevents Negroes from achieving their just
place in American life.

This is a fusing of two public problems that are distinct and
separate. By drawing them together, Dr. King has done a disservice
to both. The moral issues in Vietnam are less clear-cut than he
suggests; the political strategy of uniting the peace movement and
the civil rights movement could very well be disastrous for both
causes.

Because American Negroes are a minority and have to overcome unique
handicaps of racial antipathy and prolonged deprivation, they have a
hard time in gaining their objectives even when their grievances are
self-evident and their claims are indisputably just. As Dr. King
knows from the Montgomery bus boycott and other civil rights
struggles of the past dozen years, it takes almost infinite patience,
persistence and courage to achieve the relatively simple aims that
ought to be theirs by right.

The movement toward racial equality is now in the more advanced and
more difficult stage of fulfilling basic rights by finding more jobs,
changing patterns of housing and upgrading education. The battle
grounds in this struggle are Chicago and Harlem and Watts. The
Negroes on these fronts need all the leadership, dedication and moral
inspiration that they can summon; and under these circumstances to
divert the energies of the civil rights movement to the Vietnam issue
is both wasteful and self-defeating. Dr. King makes too facile a
connection between the speeding up of the war in Vietnam and the
slowing down of the war against poverty. The eradication of poverty
is at best the task of a generation. This "war" inevitably meets
diverse resistance such as the hostility of local political machines,
the skepticism of conservatives in Congress and the intractability of
slum mores and habits. The nation could afford to make more funds
available to combat poverty even while the war in Vietnam continues,
but there is no certainly that the coming of peace would
automatically lead to a sharp increase in funds.

Furthermore, Dr. King can only antagonize opinion in this country
instead of winning recruits to the peace movement by recklessly
comparing American military methods to those of the Nazis testing
"new medicine and new tortures in the concentration camps of Europe."
The facts are harsh, but they do not justify such slander.
Furthermore, it is possible to disagree with many aspects of United
States policy in Vietnam without whitewashing Hanoi.

As an individual, Dr. King has the right and even the moral
obligation to explore the ethical implications of the war in Vietnam,
but as one of the most respected leaders of the civil rights movement
he has an equally weighty obligation to direct that movement's
efforts in the most constructive and relevant way.

There are no simple or easy answers to the war in Vietnam or to
racial injustice in this country. Linking these hard, complex
problems will lead not to solutions but to deeper confusion.