Richard Seymore:

>>Tony Cliff argued that imperialism is central to the strength of reformist
political attitudes... With regard to sections within the working class,
Cliff's simple argument was that these tended to be more pronounced the
weaker the working class is, but are reduced when the workers' standards
of living go up... As for myself, I would not use the language of 'privilege',
but I would
agree with you on the relevance of 'feelings of superiority', or
chauvinism. I am the last to deny or 'downplay' the relevant political
effects of, say, white supremacy on working class cohesion and strength,
which is certainly at the heart of long-term difficulties faced by the
US working class for example. It's just not clear to me how theories of
'embourgoisement' or 'labour aristocracy' help with this.<<

Ok, Cliff was and you are very aware of and very against imperialism and
chauvinism, but... is there no relation between differentiation in the working
class, and opportunism and chauvinism? Haven’t some relations of
differentiation been quite stable, for many decades, such as the relative
privilege of white workers in the US, Australia and South Africa, defended both
by law for a long time as well as exclusivist union practices? Wasn’t the White
Australia Policy part of the Laborist mainstream from the 1890s to the 1960s?
Wasn’t this mainstream formed in the early 1890s-1900s, shaped not only by the
concurrent formation of monopolising capitals and Pacific colonialism, but by
the fact that it was largely based on craft unions (as well as farmer and
middle class elements), keen to keep women and Chinese out of their trades as
well as fight the bosses and use arbitration and protectionism to defend what
they understood as their interests? Aren’t the cadres of labo(u)r and social
democratic parties and union apparatuses today largely drawn from highly
skilled and educated layers of the working class? (For my PhD I conducted focus
groups with three Labor branches totaling 25 people, which included one blue
collar union organiser, one blue collar worker, and the rest from such layers
Large scale surveys of ALP members have shown the same).

I’m happy to reject the embourgeoisment concept, as it implies a qualitative
transformation of class. But the concept of labour aristocracy, understood in
the careful way I’ve put it, can help us discuss these questions.

But I repeat I don’t want too be too determinate about it, and that one
political expression of skilled, white collar labour in Australia today is the
rise of the Greens as a particular type of left social democratic formation, a
progressive, if of course partial alternative to the ALP (Greens branches I
also interviewed were sociologically quite similar to the Labor branches, and
the "labour aristocratic"/social democratic nature of the Greens is discussed
empirically in the brief article I previously linked to as well as an academic
article I’m hopefully publishing soon).

Also one important material basis I think not just of union decline but also of
anti-refugee, anti-Indigenous chauvinism in the last 20 years in Australia was
a neoliberal fuelled process of *actual* petty-bourgeoisification of hundreds
of thousands of blue collar workers from the early 90s (when Laborist
neoliberalism accelerated), due to their jobs being forcibly transformed into
self-employed contract relations and the fact that large numbers made redundant
through restructuring had little choice but to use their severance to buy a van
and tools and set up a business. Cut off from the solidarity of work and union
membership they first (on the whole) helped vote Labor out in 1996 and were
then prey to the petty-minded suburban-reactionary outlook of John Winston
Howard.