----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Rozoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2000 8:39 AM
Subject: [STOPNATO] China: Time For In-Depth Reflection On Kosovo

STOP NATO: NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.COM

http://www.peopledaily.net/english/200006/10/eng20000610_42658.html

People's Daily
Saturday, June 10, 2000, updated at 09:37(GMT+8)
China

China: It's Time for In-depth Reflection on Kosovo
China said Friday that it is time for in-depth
reflection on Kosovo, a Yugoslav province, where the
current situation is very critical as Serbs are
suffering from deportation and persecution.

The statement came as Shen Guofang, the deputy Chinese
permanent representative to the United Nations, took
the floor at an open U.N. Security Council meeting, at
which Bernard Kouchner, head of the U.N. Interim
Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK), briefed the
15-nation body on the latest developments in the
Serbian province.

"We are of the view that it is time for in-depth
reflection," he said. "The Security Council has the
political responsibility and moral obligation to face
this reality, and it should seriously seek the
resolution to the serious problems faced by Kosovo,
otherwise the credibility of the United Nations will
continue to be impaired."

"First, the international presence should respect the
sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Federal
Republic of Yugoslavia (FRY)," he said."UNMIK should
respect the laws of FRY and seek cooperation with
FRY."

However, "some of the current administrative measures
adopted in Kosovo impair the sovereignty of FRY and it
has created a false impression that Kosovo is going to
independence."

Shen said that "any attempt to lead Kosovo to
independence is dangerous and illegal, it will deprive
the Balkan region of peace and the ultimate victim
will be the people of the Balkan region." "UNMIK can
not afford to make a slightest mistake on this very
important policy of issue," he said.

Secondly, "we are very concerned with the security of
Serbs and other minorities in Kosovo," he said.

"We firmly oppose any forms of ethnic cleansing," he
said. " The flagrant violations of basic human rights
in Kosovo, no matter when it take place and which
ethnic group it target, can not be accepted by the
international community."

"All human rights violations are crimes," he said.
"The crimes, be they big or small, can not be
tolerated."

"In the same way, it is irresponsible to use past
events as excuses to explain the way to the critical
situation," he said. " We are concerned at the ways
UNMIK and the international peacekeepers turn about
the situation."

Apart from that, he said, "What arises our particular
concern is that a large number of non-Kosovo Albanians
have entered Kosovo, and this will change the
demographic composition of Kosovo," which has a
multi-ethnic society since ancient times.

"There should a Kosovo where different ethnic groups
can have peaceful coexistence, and this should be the
target of UNMIK," he said.

"We are opposed to any attempt to create national
division and sabotage national unity," he said.
"Fundamentally, the solution to the Kosovo issue can
only be achieved within the framework of FRY through
substantial autonomy and good ethnic policy."