----- Original Message -----
From: Ramsey Kysia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 5:12 AM
Subject: [iac-disc.] (Fwd) Gore, Interrupted- Urgent 6/29- Pass it On (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:56:07 -0500
From: Kathy Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Gore, Interrupted- Urgent 6/29- Pass it On

In the midst of madness this morning, we received word here at the Voices
office that Al Gore was visiting Chicago to talk about "energy policy
incentives for cities."  Kathy was leaving today for Iraq to begin the
Summer 2000 Voices in Basra sojourn, to live and witness the suffering
caused by sanctions and to be in solidarity with the Iraqi people. Recent
reports have suggested that the Clinton Administration is looking to pull
out all the stops to bomb Iraq, possibly in the fall and help influence
the election; with Gore down in the polls, Nader taking some votes, and
Bush criticizing the current administration's stance on being "soft on
Saddam," we are afraid this might not be so far from the truth.

Kathy and I decided that we could not pass up this oppportunity, to at
least be a presence near his speech, so I ditched her with all the mundane
office tasks and last minute details and headed to Navy Pier.

I entered Navy Pier, went to the Rooftop Terrace and showed my ID, which
was all they asked for.  I later found out it was by invitation only,
supposedly, but they were letting anyone walk in who showed an ID.  I
passed through metal detection and made my way to the roof amidst a sea of
ardent Gorettes and carefully placed Secret Service.

The rooftop was filled with approximately 150 Gore supporters, Chicago's
Mayor Daley, and every major media outlet.  As Gore stepped out to a
standing ovation, with a stammering introduction from the Mayor, "These
Are Days", a popular song written by the band 10, 000 Maniacs, blasted
throughout the sound system. I had come not to hear the issues Gore was
saying were important, but to ask him a question relating to an issue that
is in the hearts and minds of 24 million people taken siege by sanctions.
This question also weighs heavily on my heart and mind, since I recently
returned from Iraq and witnessed the carnage so cavalierly bestowed upon
the Iraqis by the US government.

As Mr. Gore began to speak about how much "me and Tipper love the Windy
City," I raised my voice and asked "Mr. Gore, why should anyone vote for
an administration that kills five thousand innocent children a month
through sanctions in Iraq?"

He stopped.  And he laughed.  He actually laughed. He said he would
discuss this later in the day. I responded by saying that every ten
minutes a child dies in Iraq due to sanctions and we do not have the time
to wait. I told him that we need to stop giving military aid to the Middle
East, which works to divide and destabalize, and that the billions wasted
on bombing missions and sanctions could benefit the American people. I was
also able to spout off the names of Denis Halliday, Hans Von Sponeck, and
Jutta Burghardt as UN officials who protest the sanctions before I was
removed.

Mr.  Gore did not answer my question directly, but many people expressed
support, even the sticker wearing Gore fans.  The media taped the whole
thing and at least one was going live (C-SPAN???)  If anybody sees any
info, please contact us.

I think of the song blaring while Gore walked to the podium as I think of
what occurred this afternoon. I am more certain that at least one message
from the afternoon is crystal clear.  That "These are Days."  These are
days to stand up and demand an end to bombing and to sanctions.  These are
days you'll remember.  These days are ours if we take them in the spirit
of nonviolence and love that conquers even the strongest hate.

Two weeks ago a doctor in Basra, after showing me infant corpses dead from
both severe deformities, most likely from depleted uranium, and no blood
bags, told me, with tears in his eyes from working an 18 hour day filled
with hopelessness and despair, "Your government kills my people."  He is
right, and the pressing question on my mind is "But can our people change
our government?"

This was a very easy action.  The SS wanted to know how I got in. I walked
in the front door. I did not break the law.  I probably was somewhat rude,
in the nature of the interruption, but I compare that to the millions of
lives that have been interrupted or ended b/c of sanctions. Now is the
time to push this issue and we need to use every avenue we can.  Gore and
Bush need our vote - Not only should we NOT give it to them for the crimes
that both are guilty of, but we SHOULD LET THEM KNOW WHY.  This is one
way.  The people of Iraq are waiting...

peace

danny muller
voices in the wilderness