----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 3:17 PM
Subject: [STOPNATO] Viewing Iraq from the N.Y. / MASS border

STOP NATO: NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.COM

Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb

I've reached the New York Massachusetts border on my bicycle tour to end the
sanctions on Iraq.  What follows is an account of politics on the road,
jumproap snakes and post office parcels.

Since June 10, I've been traveling from Cleveland Ohio to Boston
Massachusetts.  Apart from a spoke that broke and shot into my leg, injuries
have been minimal.  I can handle bars and cycle paths, but I don't deal well
with cars and pyschopaths.  Been run off the road only once, and otherwise
make like a loaded camel in my stubborn owenership of a small but
life-saving portion of shoulder-less roads.

I improved upon the factsheets I was handing out about the devestating
impact of economic sanction on the people of Iraq.  It gives me
unparralleled confidence to approach people when i have a brochure that is
in my voice.  I have also riden incognito and adorned with signs.  Truckers
always flag me down if we leapfrog, and the conversations are an expose on
American patriotism and working class identity.

Take Frank.  Tenth grade education, proud teamster, quick to call me a
communist.  But we jive on the problems facing truckers, and he agrees with
me that arms dealers fuel war across the globe.  But "Saddam's a threat, and
Iraqi's gotta learn that they're fucked as long as he's in power."

In Syracuse an energetic group of students are planning for anti-sweatshop
and living wage work next semester, and as I talk to them about Iraq,
concerns arise about how it may be too late for the people, and that
anti-American sentiment is now destined to produce many Saddams (Milosevics,
Hitlers, Ortegas...).  I can't imagine a people ever stumbing into democracy
or overthrowing a dictator without the instruments of civil society.
Sanctions don't just deny medicines and technology, but have left southern
and central Iraq with but 10 nonprofit groups.

Richard, manager of the "Mother Earth Cafe" in Albany remarks that I receive
offerings of hospitality precisely because I don't expect it. There is
naivety in my travels, to be sure, but I've learned from a kind Indian woman
who loaded me with free oranges and pakoras to the Catholic Shrine that
granted me solace in a thunderstorm that investing in the process of
traveling rather than focus on the destination brings blessings everyday.
And in this I realize is a fundamental to organizing:  the means are the
ends.

But the fear of being public is a mountain higher that the berkshires which
loom around me.  Making the act of travel an act of community means
unlearning silence and fear of people.  I am passing out brochures by the
hundreds, to kids on skateboards, quarry workers and gas station attendants.
  But each opportunity is a hurdle.  Communicating with America is like
selling lemonade on the highway.

I have to go, but have a favor to ask.  This week dozens of people were
lobbying in DC for the "Humanitarian Exports Leading to Peace" bill, which
would allow the US to export food and medicine to Iraq.  Encourage Rep David
Price to support it at 202 543-6176.  Or try what I've done in many post
offices along the way - pack a parcel with aspirin, bandaids, toys and
pencils to mail to the Iraqi Red Crescent.   Its illegal, and the Post
Office won't let you.  In Albany I was on TV for the symbolic action.  Every
display of solidarity with the people there is an act of rebellion.  And if
you are so moved, come to DC on August 5, 6 or 7 to demonstrate on the
anniversary of the sanctions and the bombing of Hiroshema.  Its time to
raise all our voices!

Peace from the Road
Andrew Pearson

Install today: