Difunde COMUNISTES de CATALUNYA

From: dhkc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
URGENT ACTION REQUIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Özgür

TAYAD

(Association for the Families of Prisoners in Turkey)

July 26, 2000 No: 67

ATTACK IN BERGAMA PRISON (TURKEY)

Yesterday afternoon the Bergama Prison Administration wanted to carry out a search of the political prisoners’ wards on the pretext that “there is a tunnel”. Previously prison guards had carried out searches but this time there were soldiers. A court case had opened concerning the photographs of the prisoners in Burdur whose bodies show traces of torture, and the continual threats directed towards prisoners caused the prisoners to expect an attack.

The Prison Prosecutor at the Izmir Bar said in an interview: “The politicals accept searches under certain conditions. It is not possible for us to accept conditions. We will wait until morning. If a search is not carried out it will be necessary for something to be done,” thus showing that a massacre of the political prisoners in Bergama Prison was planned. At the moment there are soldiers, bulldozers, fire brigade vehicles and ambulances in front of the prison. The demands of families, friends and lawyers of the prisoners to see the prisoners have been refused, also the state security forces are deliberately using their sirens all through the night and all morning as a way of causing suffering to the relatives who are waiting in front of the prison gates.The reason for this is also to drown out the noise of the massacre. According to the latest information we received this morning at 0840, gunshots were hearnd and the roof of the prison has been pierced with holes. Also all the roads leading to the prison were blocked and the relatives of the prisoners were not allowed to come closer to the prison.

The Prison Prosecutor is telling lies. We are asking: during the whole time the prison wardens carried out searches, why was it now necessary for soldiers to carry out the searches? Why are bulldozers, ambulances and fire engines kept in readiness in front of the prison? As you know we are familiar with such scenes. We witnessed the same scenario yesterday in Ulucanlar and Burdur. Are they now trying to convert Bergama into another Ulucanlar or Burdur?

July 26, 2000 No 68

ATTACK ON BERGAMA PRISON… LATEST

This morning at 0705, as happened in Burdur Prison, hundreds of soldiers and police started an attack against the prisoners using bulldozers and gas bombs.

At 1000, the walls of four dormitories were completely smashed by bulldozers. The captives retreated to another and continued to resist to defend themselves against torture and massacre.

This attack has been planned step by step. Most recently, when the photographs of the captives from Burdur Prison who had been subjected to torture were published in the press, the Bergama Prison Governor Nedim Elbistan threatened the captives, “I will skewer you and turn this place into Ulucanlar.”

The savagery in Ulucanlar has still not been forgotten, and the entire world has noticed what was done to our children in Burdur Prison. The operation to massacre and torture, which was initiated in Bergama Prison, must immediately be halted.

We call upon all those who are against torture to mobilise to stop the attack in Bergama.