Answer Old Racist Lies: This Was A Righteous War Over Slavery!

Posted by Mike E on December 20, 2010

“…the only state right the Confederate founders were  interested  in was
the rich man’s ‘right’ to own slaves.”

From the declaration of secession passed by South Carolina enacted for
December 20, 1860 (150 years ago).

“Upon its ratification by nine States, the Constitution of the United
States sprang into existence. ‘The ends for which this constitution was framed
are declared by itself to be `to form a more perfect union, establish
justice,  insure domestic tranquility, provide for common defense, promote the
general  welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our
posterity.’

“We affirm that these ends have been defeated and the government itself has
 been made destructive of them by the action of the non slaveholding
states.  Those states have assumed the right of deciding upon the propriety of
our
 domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established
in  fifteen of the states and recognized by the constitution; they have
denounced  the institution of slavery; they have permitted the establishment of
abolition  societies. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of slaves
to leave their  homes and have incited those who remain to servile
insurrection. . . [and now]  all the states north of the [Mason-Dixon] line
have
united in the election of a  man to the high office of President of the United
States, whose opinions and  purposes are hostile to slavery. He is to be
entrusted with the common  government, because he has declared that that
`government cannot endure  permanently half slave, half free,’ and that the
public
mind must rest in the  belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate
extinction.”

* * * * * * * *

The following piece debunks the old myth that the Southern Confederacy was
created in the cause of “freedom” (in defense of “states’ rights” and
decentralized democracy).

For a hundred years, the official view has been that this was a “tragic war
 between brothers” (which obviously adopts a whites-only view). To this
day, the  generals of the slavocracy — especially Robert E. Lee and Stonewall
Jackson —  are idolized within the U.S. military. And (now refracted through
the modern  conservative prism) the Confederate cause is depicted as a holy
war against big  government and federalism — and as a precursor of the
culture wars today.

This piece appeared on the opinion pages of  the New York Times.

Gone With the Myths By EDWARD BALL

ON Dec. 20, 1860, 169 men — politicians and people of property — met in
the  ballroom of St. Andrew’s Hall in Charleston, S.C. After hours of debate,
they  issued the 158-word “Ordinance of Secession,” which repealed the
consent of  South Carolina to the Constitution and declared the state to be an
independent  country. Four days later, the same group drafted a seven-page “
Declaration of  the Immediate Causes,” explaining why they had decided to
split the Union.

The authors of these papers flattered themselves that they’d conjured up a
second American Revolution. Instead, the Secession Convention was the
beginning  of the Civil War, which killed some 620,000 Americans; an equivalent
war today  would send home more than six million body bags.

The next five years will include an all-you-can-eat special of national
remembrance. Yet even after 150 years full of grief and pride and anger, we
greet the sesquicentennial wondering, why did the South secede?

I can testify about the South under oath. I was born and raised there, and
12 men in my family fought for the Confederacy; two of them were killed.
And  since I was a boy, the answer I’ve heard to this question, from Virginia
to  Louisiana (from whites, never from blacks), is this: “The War Between
the States  was about states’ rights. It was not about slavery.”

I’ve heard it from women and from men, from sober people and from people
liquored up on anti-Washington talk. The North wouldn’t let us govern
ourselves,  they say, and Congress laid on tariffs that hurt the South. So we
rebelled.  Secession and the Civil War, in other words, were about small
government,  limited federal powers and states’ rights.

Full:
_http://kasamaproject.org/2010/12/20/answering-the-old-lies-that-was-a-war-over-slavery/_

(http://kasamaproject.org/2010/12/20/answering-the-old-lies-that-was-a-war-over-slavery/)