1. Arizona Shooting Means We Have Reached the Limits of the "Normal"
(Roberto Lovato)

2. The Tucson Massacre and Our Future - An Analysis
(Lawrence Davidson

==========

Arizona Shooting Means We Have Reached the Limits of the "Normal"

by Roberto Lovato Submitted to Portside by the author

Huffington Post

January 13, 2011 -- 02:17 PM

_http://www.huffingtonpost.com/roberto-lovato/arizona-shooting-means-we_b_80
8689.html_
(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/roberto-lovato/arizona-shooting-means-we_b_808689.html)

Like her friend Gabby Giffords and like her former colleague, the late
Judge Roll, Isabel Garcia has known the hatred that can kill. Garcia, a Pima
County public defender and outspoken immigrant rights activist, was shocked
and  moved by Saturday's shooting near the Safeway on Tucson's palm tree and
mesquite-studded northside. But she was not surprised at the slaughter of
so  many innocents.

"I'm praying for Gabby and the other victims. This is very sad," she told
me when I called her recently. "It makes me very sad knowing that there are
lots  of people in Tucson capable of doing these things, lots of people with
guns and  hatred" she said, adding "It makes you even sadder that we
couldn't do anything  to prevent it."

Her positions in defense of immigrants make her a favorite target of
Tucson's radio shock jocks and local Republicans -- and Democrats -- whose
rhetoric and denunciations fueled, she believes, the numerous death threats
that
she herself has received. "Unfortunately, it was only a matter of time
before  things blew up even more. The anger and fear have become 'normal'
here."

Garcia's insights and concerns about the larger culture of fear and
violence spinning out of control in Tucson are shared by many from among the
group that, according to FBI hate crime statistics, is most targeted by that
fear and violence throughout Arizona and the entire country: Latinos. Latinos
have a very particular response to these developments; we understand how
extremist groups and right wing think tanks, well-heeled foundations and Tea
Party activists have turned Arizona into the largest laboratory for
mainstreaming the extreme in the United States. As much as any group, Latinas
like Garcia understand that it's not just the "deranged", "lone gunmen" and
"mentally ill" we must be weary of; we understand that Jared Loughner acted
within and drew from a political and cultural climate increasingly prone to
fear, hatred and violence. We understand that the Tucson tragedy means we
have  reached the limits of the "normal."

The killing of nine year-old Christina-Taylor Green, for example, surely
stirs memories among many of us of the trauma-inducing murder of another
nine-year-old local, Brisenia Flores. Flores was killed by a woman affiliated
with organizations designated hate groups, groups like the Federation of
Immigration Reform whose smart-suited, rational-sounding spokespeople are
regularly sought out by national media outlets as "experts on immigration."
Rather than simply watch as entertainment the doings of Joe Arpaio, "America's
 Toughest Sheriff," on network newscasts and syndicated television shows,
our  first response is to ask, "'tough' on who?" Though some of us recognize
the  inherent racism of referring to the Grand Canyon state as a "a mecca
for racism  and bigotry" (ie; we wouldn't call Arizona a "Jerusalem of
hatred"), we  understand the reality behind controversial Sheriff Dupnik's
statement.

Until Saturday's attack on Giffords and her followers at a political event,
 the primary political issue heating up the headlines, classrooms and
streets of  Tucson since I visited there several months ago has been the ban on
Latinos  learning about their history and culture in ethnic studies classes.
Latinos  studying themselves means they're not "normal." Attacking Latinos
for studying  themselves is. It can even get you elected to high office. And
prior to the  ethnic studies ban, both the state political process and much
of the country's  body politic were politically and physically (i.e. a
Latino man in Phoenix was  killed in a racist attack by his white neighbor in
one
of several largely  unreported hate crimes) clashing around SB-1070,
Arizona's racial profiling law.

While many of us will join Daniel Hernandez and President Obama in their
call for civil discourse, we will do so without losing sight of the fact
that,  for disconcerting numbers of "regular Americans", hate and fear are the
new  normal. That Senate President Russell Pearce, the author of SB-1070 and
one of  Arizona's most powerful politicians, sat in solemn attendance at the
memorial  was duly noted by many. But his attendance and the calls for
"civil discourse"  will not, should not erase less-publicized knowledge of the
fact that Pearce has  ties to the Neo-Nazi extremist groups whose members he
has praised and whose  rallies he has attended.

To many of us, the "deranged lone gunmen" on the desert fringe can
sometimes bear more than a passing resemblance to the God-fearing, gun-wielding

patriot filling our cities and suburbs; we see how the "rugged individualism"
of  a previous era is being hijacked by powerful interests. As I watch
reports of  the shooting, I remember the death threats from white men with guns
who didn't  like my work defending immigrants and others.

So, when we read that the Department of Homeland Security suspects that
Jared Loughner is "possibly connected" to American Renaissance, one of
Arizona's  many and growing racist, anti-immigrant groups, many of us see
someone
who,  deranged or not, draws from the deep wells of verbal, visual and
physical  violence in the substratum of US civilization; We agree with scholars
like  Richard Florida who understand Tucson's troubles as reflective of how
"deep  seated regional and cultural factors play a substantial role in mass
violence."

And like Garcia and the national hero of the moment, Daniel Hernandez, many
 of us will look at the blood-splattered abyss on the street near Safeway
and act  decisively to find a newer, truly safer way to deal with these
influences on  Jared Loughner and other, more "normal" people, people carrying
unconcealed guns  on their waists and increasingly normalized hatred in their
hearts.

[Roberto Lovato is a writer and the Co-Founder, Presente.org He is a New
York-based writer with New America Media and a frequent contributor to The
Nation Magazine. He' has written for the Los Angeles Times, Salon, Der
Spiegel,  Utne Magazine, La Opinion, and other national and international media
outlets,  and has appeared as a source and commentator on English and Spanish
language  network news shows on Univision, CNN, PBS and other programs.
Prior to becoming  a writer, Lovato was the former Executive Director of
CARECEN, which was the  largest immigrant rights organization in the country.
You
can find him posting  regularly on media, migration, politics and other
issues at his blog, _www.ofamerica.wordpress.com_
(http://www.ofamerica.wordpress.com)  ]

==========

The Tucson Massacre and Our Future - An Analysis

by Lawrence Davidson

To The Point Analyses - Deconstructing the News

January 12, 2011

_http://www.tothepointanalyses.com/_ (http://www.tothepointanalyses.com/)

There are two groups responsible for the January 8th tragedy in Tucson
Arizona. One group is made up of right wing Republicans, Tea Party fanatics,
and  extremist conservative talk show personalities. These people have, for
too long  now, been consciously creating an atmosphere in which illegal acts
of  intimidation and violence are mistaken for patriotism. It does not matter
if  members of this group are self-deceived "patriots" or just political
opportunists. The nature of their actions were and are predictably
disastrous.

When Sarah Palin placed a map on her website showing the whereabouts of
twenty Democratic politicians, including Gabrielle Giffords, using, in Palin's
 words, "bullseye icons" (that is gun sights), she essentially committed an
act  of criminal incitement. Anyone with average intelligence can recognize
this to  be so given the pre-existing combustible environment created by
the near  criminal speech of people like Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Ann
Coulter.  Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that when she released her
metaphoric  invitation to violence Palin knew that among her supporters were a
large number  of angry white men armed to the teeth with everything from
handguns to bazookas.

The fact that in the case of Tucson (not the first or the last case), it
was allegedly a mentally unstable fellow who acted out this violence is
irrelevant to the fact that the pre-existing climate of incitement was
palpable.
 What Palin, Beck and their kind are practicing is not free speech. It is
the  equivalent of, as Oliver Wendell Holmes put it, "crying fire in a
crowded  theater."

However, the situation would never have gotten to its present explosive
level without the complementary behavior of the second group. And that is the
country's center/liberal establishment, including the Democratic Party
leadership, all of whom have failed to treat the right wing threat seriously.
It  does not matter if members of this group simply misjudged the situation
or they  had the mistaken notion that to confront it would only make things
worse. In  either case they were wrong. Whether we consider Al Gore's
response to the  stolen presidential election of
2000 or Barack Obama's consistent refusal to  prosecute the criminal acts
of the Bush era extremists, these center/liberal  leaders have behaved
irresponsibly in the face of a growing and recognizably  dangerous situation.
They
do the country no favor by confronting a violent right  with passivity or
sorrowful words.

It has been 153 years since Abraham Lincoln made his prescient House
Divided speech. He did so in June of 1858 in Springfield Illinois. His words,
which at the time were considered alarmist, went like this, "If we could first
 know where we are, and whither we are tending, we could then better judge
what  to do, and how to do it." Making reference to continuing "slavery
agitation" he  went on "in my opinion it will not cease, until a crisis shall
have been reached  and passed." And then he told his audience (1,000 members
of the original  Republican Party) that "A house divided against itself
cannot stand."

The United States is, once more, increasingly a house divided. It is not
divided by "slavery agitation" though some of the issues have their roots in
that era. It is over fundamental differences in the meaning of the nation's
 Constitution and the very nature of government. These differences bring
with  them feelings that are just as emotional and inherently divisive as was
slavery.

There are a growing number of Americans who no longer believe in the modern
 interpretation and application of U.S. Constitution. They insist that the
way  Constitutional interpretation has evolved over the past half century is
a  betrayal of true American principles. Many of these Americans are
apparently  enamored of the 19th century outlook that the only government that
is
legitimate  is that which sees to the police, the military and the law.
Everything else  should be a private concern. If you tax them for programs that
have to do with  social equity or economic justice (even in its pitifully
weak form) or even to  maintain public functions such as education,
transportation and social services,  they consider it theft and imagine that
they are
subject to a new tyranny. In  addition, many of them are not willing to go
along with any election that might  run counter to their outlook. Some are
very close to advocating sedition, and a  few are obviously already gunning
for their imagined "tyrants."

The present center/liberal leadership is confused. As Lincoln put it, they
do not know where they are, where they are going, or what to do.
Unfortunately,  unlike Lincoln, they are not prescient. They do not seem to
understand
that what  is happening is not superficial or transient. They beg us not to
"politicize"  the Tucson massacre, as if the murders were not, prima facie,
political acts.  Lincoln knew that the house was dividing and that the
process would "not cease  until a crisis shall have been reached and passed."
Our center/liberal  establishment have yet to come to a similar understanding.

Passivity and accommodation will not make right wing violence go away.
Those who incite this violence as well as those who act it out have to be
confronted in an aggressive yet principled fashion. One way to do this is to
enforce the law in a way that prioritizes our problems in a common sense
fashion  and ceases to practice double standards. In other words, it is time
for
President Obama to tell his Justice Department and the FBI to stop chasing
around the mid-west harassing people friendly to the Palestinians and to
start  going after that element of the American right that is inciting its
members to  act out their political rage. They can start by taking a look at
the activities  of one Sarah Palin.

[Lawrence Davidson is a history professor at West Chester University in
Pennsylvania. He is a contributing editor to Logos: A Journal of Modern
Society  & Culture, His blog, To the Point Analyses can be found at:
_http://www.tothepointanalyses.com_ (http://www.tothepointanalyses.com)  ]