From: Nikogda Nichevo <intangib...@aphenomenal.com>
Subject: Re: [MLL] some thoughts on the CPUSA: a whole assessment of our
revolutionary heritage
To: "For the reaffirmation of Marxism-Leninism"
<marxist-leninist-list@lists.econ.utah.edu>
Date: Monday, January 24, 2011, 6:19 AM

In case anybody was getting some other ideas of what I was on about:
I was not suggesting that the bones of the CPUSA in the 1930s & 1940s
be disinterred. The issue for us here is the root of the errors that
could have been averted, and what reckoning is made with regard to
assessing that root which can broadly be labelled as "Browderite
revisionism." There was nothing new in Earl Browder's revisionism as
a predisposition or tendency. The problem was its role in retarding
the bolshevisation of the proletarian vanguard, and the damage it
left in its wake as a result, despite the many glorious moments in
the history of the communist and workers movement from that time.

The workers movement in the US, under both direct and indirect
leadership of communists, succeeded in organising itself into
fighting organisations on the economic front. The old line of craft
unionism was laid to rest and industrial unionism of the CIO swept
the field. I strongly suspect there were no lily-livered liberals or
FBI who were able to play any actual specific role inside or very
close to any of the nitty-gritty organising of the workers who were
led by the CIO, least of all among those that were directly backed as
well by WZ Foster. Proletarian class  instinct took care of any
possibility of that kind of snake worming its way into the organising
on the ground.

Yet in the public political work of the party, the petty-bourgeois
and other alien class interests, not excluding the FBI, were able to
cause a great deal of confusion and wrecking. This was the result of
an incorrect application, at several levels, of the united front
principle. A Leninist party has to have a professional revolutionary
centre. It also has to have organs and links that lead the broadest
ideological and political discussions throughout the society from
bottom to top and top to bottom. The two must not be mixed up,
however. The revolutionary centre should be as fortress-like as the
organising committee of a trade union struggle in the heat of the
battles with Capital. This fortress can't just be within the Central
Committee, but at all levels of the organisation.

If the party had bolshevised itself back in the 1920s in the manner
recommended by the Comintern throughout the 1920s and 1930s, this
distinction would have been strictly maintained. The toxic impact of
Browder's line and leadership style was that liberalism on this front
was not seriously dealt with, let alone dealt with in time.

The revisionist content of this 'liberal' Marxism is important to
nail. It begins with clarifying the difference between democracy in
general in opposition to tyranny in general, on the one hand, and
democratic norms that serve the interests of a working class
organising to fight decisive battles over the society's future path,
on the other.

Regards