----- Original Message -----
From: info <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2001 6:30 PM
Subject: [mobilize-globally] The European Parliament rejects Plan Colombia

Subject:
          [MLNews!*] NYTimes.com Article: A Foolish Drug War
    Date:
          Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:26:08 EST
    From:
          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      To:
          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subj:    [CIA-DRUGS] NYTimes.com Article: A Foolish Drug War
Date:   2/24/01 6:57:47 PM Mountain Standard Time
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (fcmacar)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> [...]
>
>  These regional leaders know military approaches have not worked.
> Parmenio Cullar, a former justice minister and the new governor of
> Nario Province, said in a recent interview: "We all want this
> plague to be eradicated. But in 20 years, Colombia's anti-narcotics
> policies have not reduced, much less eliminated, drug production.
> We have to recognize that the problem of drugs in Colombia is tied
> to the poverty of the peasants."
>
>  Manual eradication with the voluntary labor of the peasant growers
> uproots crops peacefully, without environmental harm. Persuading
> these growers to eradicate their drug crops is the easy part
> because they are sick of drug-related violence and scared of the
> fumigation and mass displacement that follow.
>
>  But alternative eradication methods do not address the central
> economic problem that is driving coca production. Colombia's
> traditional rural economy is in crisis. Take coffee, for example.
> Since Colombia opened its agricultural markets in the early 1990's,
> the coffee harvest has been reduced almost by half. Ten years ago,
> agricultural imports to Colombia were 700,000 tons, and today they
> are 7 million tons. One million rural jobs have been lost during
> the past decade. A quarter of a million peasants have turned to
> coca production. Any long-term solution has to provide sustainable
> crops or employment.
>
>  Recently, two of the governors held exploratory talks with
> European diplomats in Bogot to discuss the kinds of programs they
> intend to present to European governments in Brussels this spring,
> when Europe will decide how to spend $800 million over five years.
> There are a few infrastructure projects on their list: a highway
> linking Tolima, Huila and Nario to the Pacific coast; improvements
> to the Pacific port of Tumaco. They have identified competitive
> products for export: rubber, African palm, cocoa, and wood. And
> they say milk production, tropical fruits and cotton could be
> linked to microenterprises in rural towns. One small town near the
> Narino-Ecuador border, for example, currently employs 1,000 people
> producing specialty foods for Japan.
>
>  As for the war, the governors have reason to believe that once
> peasant communities have some economic alternatives to coca
> production, the guerrillas in the region will not be able to oppose
> the citizens' collective will.
>
>  Last week, Plan Colombia's operations in Putumayo were temporarily
> suspended, in part because of local protests. The Bush
> administration now has an opportunity to evaluate this project's
> performance. There is still time to turn this ill-conceived plan
> around and get behind the development proposals of the local
> governors. With American support, their integrated vision of a
> drug-free, more peaceful Colombia is still possible.
> Ana Carrigan, who writes from Colombia for The Irish Times, is the
> author of "The Palace of Justice: A Colombian Tragedy."

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/10/opinion/10CARR.html?ex=983939555&ei=1&amp;en=b

252d39a8df8ed77

> Visit NYTimes.com for complete access to the
> most authoritative news coverage on the Web,
> updated throughout the day.
>
> Become a member today! It's free!
>
> http://www.nytimes.com?eta

-Home Page- www.cia-drugs.org