Ugh. This is what comes of paying too much attention to "the arts."

I love the Carol Burnett bit where she comes sashaying down a staircase wearing
a curtain complete with rod and describes it as "just a little somethin' Ah saw
in the winder."

I had an English teacher of Southern origin in high school who took it on
herself to educate girls and boys on their proper roles.  She used to come into
class flaunting the rocks she extracted from her husband, a local businessman,
in order to "acquaint the girls with the finer things in life."

I had a not-well-educated friend from Brazil who was horrified when I described
myself as a "Yankee" because in Brazil apparently--perhaps owing to a
substantial population of descendants of refugees from the Confederacy--GWTW is
taken ultra-seriously as a tale of national liberation and everyone is taught
to regard the Blues as monsters.

Can't we please all, just for once, stop clinging to the infected debris of the
Old South and chuck it into the memory hole where it belongs, even if a couple
of film masterpieces are back-burnered along with it?

Culture is the one resource that is inexhaustible as long as there are people.
We can always make more of it.  Why this obsessional clinging?

View/Reply Online (#775): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/775
-=-=-