Adam Tooze witnessed the events in NYC, and puts it into a broad framework.
Thus far I have only been on his free e-list. I think I might actually
subscribe. Some short clips :
"there in front of us on the street was the state manifesting in a primitive
battle for control of space. Burly officers, shoving, pushing, man-handling,
crushing protestors, climbing into buildings - a building I taught in on Monday
- using what looked like medieval siege machinery, bodily hauling students off
to police vans and cells, pinning their wrists with plastic straps...

this kind of non-violent physical coercion - the threat of being out-muscled in
the crudest sense - is at the heart of our daily lives including in every
workplace. Those of us who teach on locked down campuses have recently felt
this very intimately...

In the main, this force isn’t lethal. But what you realize up close is that
non-lethality makes it all the more direct, personal and bodily....
Once you have seen the working of coercive state power up close, you realize
that slogans like defund the police do one vital thing, something which should
be essential for democracy, they challenge not just the bargain to which we
agree - do we divest? are wages acceptable? etc - the radical slogans challenge
the coercive power that ultimately sets the playing field on which we bargain."

https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/chartbook-280-the-state-as-blunt?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=192845&post_id=144209952&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=true&r=17xgfq&triedRedirect=true&utm_medium=email

View/Reply Online (#30180): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/30180
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: marxmail+ow...@groups.io