On Wed, Aug 14, 2024 at 09:00 AM, Michael Meeropol wrote:

> the "established" business leaders are probably (my opinion -- uncertainty
> here!) a bit worried about the incredible aggressiveness of the Musks and
> Peter Thiels of the billionaire class

I may have previously copied an excellent analysis by Adam Tooze of the
divisions in the ruling class between the establishment based on finance and
the big multinationals which leans Democratic and the aggressive venture
capitalists and high tech entrepreneurs  which resents it and have lined up
behind Trump.  Tooze writes:

"In finance on Wall Street, the C-suite is much changed. It has become more
diverse and significantly more aligned with the Democratic Party. This began at
the latest in the 1990s with Rubin’s central role in the Clinton
administration. Jamie Dimon, the leading banker of his generation, took a knee
in 2020. His seemingly positive comments about Trump early in 2024 were taken
out of context and misinterpreted. Far more telling is his famous quip that
running a bank in the modern age requires the assistance of a psychiatrist and
a lawyer. A Trump presidency only makes that double dilemma worse.

"But for finance too, it is clear that banking regulation under the Democrats
has been more onerous than it would be under Trump. It is telling that the
further you get from New York - you only need to go as far as New Jersey or
Long Island - and the further you get from the big banking side of finance, the
more support for Trump rises. It is not by accident that some of Trump’s most
important big money support comes from hedge funds and private equity, who are
far less constrained by the polite conventions of corporate America than are
big banks.

"The same logic of differentiation within the business community applies in the
tech world as well. The big tech names - the Microsoft, Apples etc - remain
politely aloof from the fray until they have actually to deal with a Trump
administration. Then, of course, they get down to business. The overwhelming
majority of tech staff lean Democratic and donate accordingly. But a handful of
prominent names in Silicon Valley, not necessarily the biggest, but big enough
to make a substantial difference to campaign fund-raising, have come out
ostentatiously in favor of Trump, as if to burnish their credentials as
“outsiders” and mavericks. Furthermore, they are encountering less resistance
as they come out into the open."

Tooze's long essay is well worth reading in full, bearing in mind that it was
written when Wall Street was resigning itself to Trump before Biden was pushed
off the ticket and Harris appeared as reassurance to Big Capital that the
Democrats could win.

https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/chartbook-287-after-the-verdict-american

View/Reply Online (#31631): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/31631
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: marxmail+ow...@groups.io