by Ronen Bergman, Julian E. Barnes, Farnaz Fassihi, Aaron Boxerman and Adam
Rasgon
New York Times, August 16
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/16/world/middleeast/cease-fire-talks-doha-israel-hamas.html

High-level talks to halt the war in Gaza ended without an immediate
breakthrough on Friday, but the United States, Egypt and Qatar said the
negotiations would continue next week as mediators raced to secure a truce
that they hope will avert a wider regional conflagration.
  .  .  .
On Friday, Egypt, Qatar and the United States said in a joint statement
that the mediators had presented Israel and Hamas with “a bridging
proposal” consistent with the terms laid out by President Biden on May 31
and later endorsed by the U.N. Security Council.

“This proposal builds on areas of agreement over the past week, and bridges
remaining gaps in the manner that allows for a swift implementation of the
deal,” the statement said. All three governments characterized the talks in
Qatar as “serious, constructive and conducted in a positive atmosphere.”
  .  .  .
In a statement on Friday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel
continued to blame Hamas for blocking a deal. But he has also stiffened
Israel’s terms for an agreement in recent weeks, including calling for
Israeli troops to remain on the Gazan side of the territory’s border with
Egypt to prevent Hamas from rearming itself.
  .  .  .
Hamas officials, who have accused Mr. Netanyahu of bargaining in bad faith,
did not participate directly in the talks in Doha. But two Hamas officials
said on Friday that mediators had updated the group on the negotiations.
The officials said, without elaborating, that the current proposal did not
conform to terms the group had agreed to last month.

Ghazi Hamad, a senior Hamas official, said in a televised interview that
“none of the points of contention” had been resolved in Doha. “Israel
either added new conditions, or asked for new wordings or complicated
matters,” Mr. Hamad told Al Mayadeen, a Lebanese broadcaster seen as
closely aligned with Iran and its allies. “There was no advancement.”
  .  .  .
Next week, Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken was expected to arrive in
Israel for more diplomatic talks, including a meeting with Mr. Netanyahu,
the Israeli prime minister’s office said in a statement.

Mr. Biden said in a statement on Friday that Mr. Blinken was traveling to
the Middle East in part “to underscore that with the comprehensive
cease-fire and hostage release deal now in sight, no one in the region
should take actions to undermine this process.”
   #   #   #


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#31666): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/31666
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/107946385/21656
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/marxmail/leave/8674936/21656/1316126222/xyzzy 
[[email protected]]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Reply via email to