Biden Backs Down on Israel Arms Ultimatum

The Biden administration will continue to arm Israel — even after it failed to 
meet the U.S. deadline on allowing aid into Gaza.


On October 13, the Biden administration sent a strongly worded letter to Israel 
with a simple message: Allow more humanitarian aid into Gaza within 30 days, or 
we may pull away our military support. 

At the time, Israel was in the early stages of its siege on northern Gaza, 
where thousands of civilians had been sheltering. The leaked letter, written by 
Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin and 
addressed to Israeli Minister for Strategic Affairs Ron Dermer and then-Defense 
Minister Yoav Gallant, outlined a list of concrete demands intended to ensure 
the flow of supplies into Gaza to address starvation, the lack of medical 
resources, and avoid the forced displacement of Palestinians out of northern 
Gaza. 

When the deadline arrived 30 days later, on Tuesday, November 12, a group of 
humanitarian organizations published a report finding that Israel has failed to 
deliver on most, if not all, of the criteria outlined by the U.S in the October 
letter. In response, the U.S. said it will continue providing arms to Israel.

“We at this time have not made assessments that the Israelis are in violation 
of U.S. law,” State Department spokesperson Vedant Patel told reporters at a 
briefing on Tuesday. “We are going to continue to assess their compliance with 
U.S. law. We’ve seen some progress being made, we’d like to see more changes 
happen.” 

For humanitarian aid groups who are doing work on the ground in Gaza, the State 
Department’s position couldn’t be further from reality. 
A group of eight humanitarian organizations released a report Tuesday that 
tracked each of the letter’s demands and how Israel is failing on all but 
several of them. The “Gaza Scorecard” showed that within the past 30 days, 
Israel has failed to open any new border crossings into Gaza; only 42 trucks 
have been allowed per day, well short of the U.S. benchmark of 350 trucks; the 
Israeli military killed four aid workers; the military bombed a polio vaccine 
clinic during a humanitarian pause; about 80 percent of Gaza remains under 
evacuation orders, continuing the displacement of Palestinians; and aid groups 
have been prevented from entering northern Gaza where the Israeli military 
continues its siege. “How much more evidence does the U.S. government need to 
respect its own laws and humanitarian standards?” Joseph Belliveau, executive 
director of MedGlobal, one of the groups behind the report, told The Intercept. 
“It should end all military support today.” This is only the latest instance of 
Israel crossing Biden’s red lines with impunity. 

MedGlobal has around 300 aid workers in Gaza, who are helping set up clinics, 
running surgery wards within hospitals, and providing other medical support, 
said Belliveau, who previously was director of Doctors Without Borders-Canada. 
He said their workers have reported high levels of malnutrition and the spread 
of preventable diseases, such as the measles, as well as respiratory tract 
infections among their patients in Gaza. Their medical workers conduct 
surgeries daily on civilians, mostly women and children, he said, who are 
wounded by Israeli attacks. Furthermore, four MedGlobal workers have been 
arrested by the Israeli military and remained in custody with no explanation. 

“How many ways can you die right now in Gaza?” Belliveau said. “You can be hit 
by an airstrike, you can be targeted by snipers, you can die from disease, you 
can die from famine and malnutrition. And at the same time, not only are 
Palestinians exposed to all those risks in an extreme way, but the humanitarian 
and medical personnel that would be needed to even come close to trying to 
respond to this level of humanitarian need are almost completely shut out.”

Scott Paul, director of peace and security at Oxfam America, which also helped 
compile the report, said that the Biden administration’s decision to continue 
military support to Israel “has put a final, deadly exclamation point on its 
policy of disregard for US law and the lives of Palestinians.”
“Now, as communities in North Gaza are erased and starved to death, Israel will 
receive a steady stream of US weapons with a newly furnished seal of approval,” 
Paul said. “We provided sound humanitarian evidence and it was ignored. This is 
an unsurprising but still disgraceful decision.”
This isn’t the first time the Biden administration had threatened to use U.S. 
law to cut military support to Israel. In March, Israel signed on to a memo, 
known as “NSM-20,” which required the State and Defense departments to obtain 
credible assurances that Israel was not using U.S. weapons to violate 
international law. The administration has also pointed to the Leahy Law, which 
prohibits U.S. assistance to “any unit of the security forces of a foreign 
country if the Secretary of State has credible information that such unit has 
committed a gross violation of human rights.” 

However, in May, amid mounting evidence of Israel’s attempts to block 
humanitarian aid into Gaza, the State Department released a report saying that 
it had “deep concerns” about Israel, but that it had been following the law. 
The flow of arms continued.

During the Tuesday press briefing, Patel said the State Department would 
continue to assess whether Israel is violating international law and would be 
consulting with aid groups and the United Nations to make those estimations. 
However, when reporters asked whether the State Department had seen the report 
from aid organizations, he declined to comment on the findings. Furthermore, 
figures from the U.N. bolster the report’s findings, showing that October 
showed the lowest number of aid crossings into Gaza. 


| 
| 
| 
|  |  |

 |

 |
| 
|  | 
Israel has missed US deadline to boost Gaza aid, UN agency says

But Israel says it has greatly increased deliveries since being warned of cuts 
to military assistance.
 |

 |

 |




“When we’re talking about specific metrics or specific actions on the ground, 
the hope is that operational changes made on the ground would make it possible 
for an additional increase in humanitarian aid and trucks to get into places 
where it needs to go,” Patel said, repeating the idea that the Israeli 
government has made “progress” with measures such as waiving customs fees and 
allowing the Jordanian Armed Forces into Gaza to deliver aid.

The humanitarians groups’ report credits the partial implementation of those 
measures but says obstacles remain: Some aid groups are charged fees to cross 
into Gaza, which is being unevenly enforced. Overall, the report found that 
Israel only partially or inconsistently met four of the 19 demands laid out in 
the October letter from Blinken and Austin, and had not met the remaining 15 
demands at all.

Belliveau said MedGlobal has been in contact with senators and the Biden 
administration over the past year, pushing for application of the Leahy Law to 
no success. He said with the transition to a Donald Trump presidency, he sees 
an opening for his group to make another concerted effort to get the U.S. to 
comply with its own laws, but has little hope in the president-elect’s desire 
to deliver.

“Individually, we get a lot of sympathy for our position and a lot of 
recognition that laws are being violated and that these are not the standards 
that Americans want to uphold — and then in the public arena, we just continue 
to hear platitudes coming from the government and we continue to see the the 
actions that give no evidence that there’s been any kind of restraints or pull 
back in terms of support to the regime that’s committing these crimes,” he 
said. 

As the deadline passed on Tuesday, an Israeli strike hit a house in the Jabalia 
refugee camp in northern Gaza, killing 32 people, including 13 children. Last 
week, the Israeli government announced that it is nearing the “complete 
evacuation” of northern Gaza, and residents would not be allowed to return. 
Israeli Brig. Gen. Itzik Cohen said when that evacuation takes place, 
humanitarian aid would no longer arrive in northern Gaza, since there are “no 
more civilians left.”
Jonah Valdez


| 
| 
| 
|  |  |

 |

 |
| 
|  | 
Jonah Valdez


 |

 |

 |









-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#33555): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/33555
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/109546797/21656
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/marxmail/leave/13617172/21656/1316126222/xyzzy 
[[email protected]]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Reply via email to